Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-06-2006 , 09:14 PM

Graduate ShowReel

Hey everybody, been a while since i've been online, combination of my PSU blowing up and my router dying. Anyway, on the 19th of July I get the opportunity to show some work to prospective employers at MPC in soho user added image and had to knock together a graduate showreel as quickly as possible.

Here's a link to the showreel (it's in DivX format and is roughly 20mb in size)

www.rostoons.co.uk/movies/showreel_divx.avi

I'd like to know what you guys think of it.

# 2 28-06-2006 , 09:27 PM
Subscriber
good work, but i think i would show more of both your shorts. they are both very clever and excellent work for the experience you have. be proud to show them off.

# 3 28-06-2006 , 09:38 PM
Subscriber
not that i know alot im just a learning newbie but..
i love all the indivual films but for me me the showreal does not grab me, the music the strange cuts seem to be the wrong parts

maybe the cuts show to much of the punch line maybe i dont get the idea of the showreal

but striahgt off i felt the showreal should have been shown in reverse

the theif guy falling of the podium then coming in though the roof
window was the biggest bit that was kinda stood out. and the talking bit maybe went on to long?

rotating theif guy then landscape room sweep or zoom in on tree then Catpiller loveing the leaf Guy coming though window then just you nethier live nor win the leaf falling then scary toothy apple but not chewing the catpiller... then thief guy get up of floor

any how thats just a maybe your work is awsome I would have thought a 1st! so now im scared going in to 2nd year with only one 1 week course in maya undermy belt im going to do more this summer between many p/t jobs!

aside from what was shown here what else was subbmitted for markign was there any dissertation or the like?

-----------I need to learn maya quickly!
# 4 28-06-2006 , 09:39 PM
This might just be me, and I am not sure why, but the inchworm scenes just don't seem to do it for a demo reel. I'd put more scenes from "The Heist" or maybe something else you have done as suggested by the previous poster. The Scenes from "The Heist" by the way look great to me. . . .

I think the music is fine . . . I recognize it too . . .

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche
# 5 29-06-2006 , 12:53 PM
Thanks for the crits guys, unfortunately I can't change the showreel for the showing as my lecturer needed it ASAP and i'd be lying if i said it wasn't a tad rushed.

I am intending on starting work on version 2 this week though, with new material to make a showreel that focuses predominantly on animation, with the possibility of making another showing off visuals and modelling.

to answer an earlier question, other things were taken into account for my degree including modules on marketing (webpage, CV etc) and a 10,000 word Dissertation.

# 6 30-06-2006 , 06:09 AM
Subscriber
that was awesome, what was the soundtrack on your real? It was beautiful. user added image

# 7 30-06-2006 , 08:36 PM
Subscriber
yep, gotta agree. user added image

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 8 30-06-2006 , 09:10 PM
Subscriber
dreaded disseratiton i think we get away with out one at our uni its replaced with a personal project which i think woudl be a piece like your jewel theif!
still very scarey huge project!!!

Well done all the best!

-----------I need to learn maya quickly!
# 9 30-06-2006 , 09:55 PM
The music on the soundtrack is 'The Ecstacy of Gold' by Ennio Morricone from the soundtrack to 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly'. I cycled through a load of tunes that I liked but I thought as I was including the Clint Eastwood Voice clip, this track was the most appropriate.

# 10 13-09-2006 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber
wow... i really liked that showreel... the motion on the charactor was very smooth... i really think you nailed it.. good work,