Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-09-2006 , 05:59 PM

[Notebook Video Card] Intel GMA 950?

I will be using Studiotools 13 briefly this semester and I wish to buy a ThinkPad laptop but unfortunately the FireGL version of the T60 is way beyond my reach (not to mention, I don't think I'll be doing much serious 3D). Therefore I am considering the X60 (Intel GMA 950) and the normal T60 (ATi Mobility Radeon X1300/X1400). I don't think a 'gaming card' as the X1300/X1400 will help much with Studiotools. So as long as Studiotools 13 will run with the Intel GMA 950, I would much prefer to buy the X60. (Of course, I am not expecting real-time previews, but as long as most of the major functions work, I will be happy) I think I heard somewhere that Maya needs a dedicated video card (?) and that it won't run on an integrated video card like Intel GMA 950. I don't know why it wouldn't run on an Intel GMA 950.. but is this true?

I would appreciate any help! user added image

# 2 11-09-2006 , 12:24 AM
Hello, hope this reaches you in time to still be of any help!

If you are planning to use any high-end 3D software such as Maya, you will want to have either a gaming card or a workstation card if possible.

Now since you have pointed out that a workstation card is not an option, it leaves you with either the Mobility Radeon or the Intel GMA 950. I would personally go for the Mobility Radeon as it is a gaming card, which Maya unofficially supports.

Your comment on hearing that Maya needs a dedicated graphics card just to run? It’s defiantly not true. At my school, the admin installed Maya PLE on some rather old Dells using P4 2.8 GHz with no HT and of course, Intel graphics! But you do need one if you want to run Maya smoothly and to get the important features working, such as High Quality Rendering for previewing.

A warning though, I still don’t think Maya supports any GeForce cards or chipsets. I could be wrong, they may have added support for them, but last time I checked, they weren’t supported. Of course, you can try and if your lucky it may work, but its not recommended.

Hope all of this helps.

# 3 11-09-2006 , 07:18 PM
I've just got a notebook with the GFORCE 7900 GTX Go card in, works fine, also previous on my desktop I had a Gforce 4000 in my desktop, that was fine too, no probs.

I think that Maya runs with no probs or very little probs on Gforces.

Theres lots of discussion on CG talk about Gforce graphics cards and maya.

# 4 12-09-2006 , 02:47 PM
Yeah, the issue with GeForce cards is pretty wierd. Some people have no problems, some people have alot of problems while others have problems with Radeons - think there was a recent tread about Radeons and Maya not working.

But anyways, Alias* doesn't recommend GeForces. Just for a bit of fun, has anyone tried running Maya 6.5 Unlimited with a TNT2? I have and lags an alful lot even with one cube with flat shading.

* I can't accept the fact that Alias has been aquired