Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 26-07-2007 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
hahaha there was a ref to cap crunch in the Simpson's tonight and thought of this hahahaha

# 32 27-07-2007 , 12:03 AM
I kind of like the hat too - as you say, it really helps tie it to the character. I can definitely see what tweetytunes is saying, but I think if you altered the shape too much, the reference might get lost.

I love the giant spoon and something about his evil expression reminds me of the creepy King from Burger King ads...
With the right texturing this is going to look awesome.user added image

# 33 27-07-2007 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber
you for the win
never heard of captin crunch before though

my favourite of the comp
keep it going

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 34 27-07-2007 , 02:44 AM
Think with the hat you could just define it a bit, so to speak, take some of the blockeyness out of it (even though, like you say, its the thing really holding him to the character) but a bit of creasing bending etc would really match the characters other clothes and still keep in with the original character.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 35 27-07-2007 , 09:34 AM
I really like this character and havent really been looking at the competition threads for a bit but when I did some things really stood out on this model that I hadnt seen before.
I'll try and explain in an image below but the shoulder set just doesnt seem to add up right in that pose. That added to the sharp cut in of the jacket give it a shape that doesnt look right.
Have a look at the image I've played about with to see if you can see what I mean.

Si

Attached Thumbnails

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 36 03-08-2007 , 11:57 PM
Subscriber
Tick: I think you're right about the torso. I'm not sure about the shoulders though. I'll make revisions before I get to that point in the rendering. Thanks, man

Arran: thanks man. And I know what you mean about the BK ads, I had that problem with the concept too haha

pbman, gster, tweetytunes, joopson, viper, and mastone:
Thanks, guys user added image

Things have been going slow... I just got a couple new projects at work and a new freelance project.

I'm rendering in passes between crashes because I don't want to rely too much on the maps. :p
Anyway, here's the head so far.

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 04-08-2007 , 03:02 AM
ha ha - this just keeps getting better and better - really like the texturing so far - good job! user added image user added image

# 38 04-08-2007 , 12:54 PM
Looking nice man, is it a screen grab from Zbrush or are you painting in PS?

What a lovely model based off the actual captain Crunch (I had to google it to see the original character)

You should send it to the company when its completed see what they make of it! Definatly a protfolio peice as its so original, especially when textured!

You should turn you hand to tony the tiger form frosties or maybe the monkey from coco pops!

# 39 04-08-2007 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber
thanks arran and gster, I was thinking it would be fun to do a cereal-icon series haha. I probably don't have the time to, though.

Yeah, I'm comping renders with PS - and the hair is an overlay that I painted because I've never been good at hair/fur... I need to actually learn it some other time.

Last edited by Funky Bunnies; 04-08-2007 at 03:40 PM.
# 40 04-08-2007 , 03:46 PM
To be honest I would just texture it all in Zbrush, a lot easier and faster, also will allow you to use photo textures to sort it all out.

Will look great when done

# 41 04-08-2007 , 09:01 PM
19 year Veteran
Very Nice Job FunkyBunnies! Was wondering when some updates would be up. Are you going to use SSS for his skin?

Just a thought on the theme, it might be fun to mock up a cereal box saying super crunch or something on it. Giving the viewer th idea of how he got his size. Anyway, just a though.

# 42 15-08-2007 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
slowness occurs. Finished off a couple projects so now I'm working on him some more.

THX- Good call, I definitely need some cereal in the scene. The skin has SSS, but it's so subtle it's hard to tell and I may have overlaid a shadow pass on too heavy.

Now I'll work on a background for him, I think the body is as far as I can take him besides maybe lightening it up a bit. crits welcome - as always

https://www.funkybunnies3d.com/Work/capnBodyWIP3.jpg

# 43 15-08-2007 , 02:47 PM
that looks mad! very cool! user added image

just out of curiosity how much did you do in photoshop?

this is definitely a favorite for me. :attn:

# 44 15-08-2007 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber
Thanks arran user added image,
I rendered out several passes of each part and pieced them together in photoshop - some from Zbrush, some from Maya, and I have one or two overlays to break up the form a little. I painted the armhair and moustache though (and I just realized I'll need to touch up the sleeves so that they don't look like cut clay :p)

I would do it all in 3d, but when it's a still image I try to use whatever I'm most comfortable with / whatever's most efficient.

# 45 15-08-2007 , 07:14 PM
OMG WOW!
So the only thing for what you used PS was to add the hair and for composing?
Or did you mapped the model's (the uvs in maya) after you sculpted it?

Because I didn't continue with my ninja because I don't know a way to texture it without getting mad on the way.

cheers