Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-04-2009 , 07:39 AM

No Edit Polygon / Polygon menu ???

Hi, sorry for this noobie question, But I'm trying to work off a tutorial to learn Maya, but at somepoint, the guy goes to a menu, top of the screen, the menu: Edit Polygons, He is working in the MODELING toolset, however I dont have this set, I just see Animation, Polygons, Surfaces etcetera, but no Modeling, and when I try finding Edit Polygond menu in the Polygons/surfaces toolset, It is not there.

Can anyone help me on this one?

Thanks already.

EDIT: Are there any european guys like me, with lots of sparetime and maya experience user added image? I could use someone on MSN or w/e messenger, to ask quick questions to, answers on the forum are great, but sometimes it takes hours user added image If anyone is available, let me know user added image

Last edited by Stannoman; 19-04-2009 at 07:42 AM.
# 2 19-04-2009 , 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
"Modeling" was split up into two different menu sets in later versions "Polygons" and "Surfaces".

- Genny
# 3 19-04-2009 , 12:19 PM
Thanks, I found it user added image

Last edited by Stannoman; 19-04-2009 at 12:25 PM.
# 4 19-04-2009 , 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Smooth should be in the "Mesh" menu, its all there, just that now the poly stuff is split up under a few menus.

- Genny
# 5 19-04-2009 , 01:24 PM
What about Deform? I am looking for the Create Lattice option, but the Deform menu isnt there, and I can't find Create Lattice in any other menu?

# 6 19-04-2009 , 01:47 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
# 7 19-04-2009 , 06:59 PM
Cool thanks, Another thing though... I am trying to texture the cables of my podracer, and in the video, the guy goes to Hardware Texturing, and this is where he puts the texture quality on Highest, But when I go there, there is no such thing as texture quality, where can i find this option?

# 8 19-04-2009 , 07:43 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
in the render globals
its next to the render image button that looks like this https://lightnfilm.com/Movie%20clipboard.jpg above the shelf. go to the hardware texturing tab and quality should be in a drop down box.....

# 9 20-04-2009 , 05:58 AM
The Render Settings (wich I think you mean.. since it's the closest thing to render globals, with adjustable settings) does not have a Hardware Texturing tab, but when I put the quality higher here, it does not show.. before rendering a picture.

But in the tutorial the guy puts the texture quality higher, and the result is visible immedietly, so you can see how the textures are actually going to look like.. Because now, they dont look right. blurry and stuff.

So am I looking at the wrong thing now??? since editing the quality in Render Settings wont change anything visual.

# 10 20-04-2009 , 07:43 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
# 11 20-04-2009 , 10:57 AM
... I am in 6 mode.... The texture is blurry, and I do not know how to put the quality higher, with the result visible immedietly, like the guy in the tutorial does.

# 12 21-04-2009 , 04:36 PM
I made a print screen, it shows what I am trying to get.

user added image

# 13 22-04-2009 , 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
The equivalent of that would be the "Texture Resolution", a higher resolution texture = better quality.

- Genny
# 14 23-04-2009 , 06:15 PM

Originally posted by GecT
The equivalent of that would be the "Texture Resolution", a higher resolution texture = better quality.

Okay, I have done what you said, and when I put the quality on highest, the cables went to dark, with a few tiny little white dots, instead of white STRIPES, however I have put used the same settings as the guy in the tutorial, then I switched to default quality again, and wanted to switch back to Highest Quality, but now it doesnt change anymore, and it looks like this:

user added image

What the hell?? Any suggestions??? I just cant seem to put the texture quality high without problems...

# 15 23-04-2009 , 07:37 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
maybe your computer just isnt powerful enough to display it in higher quality in real time.
thats the last thing I can think of. Does it really matter?