Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-11-2010 , 03:52 PM

2d shape

say i wanted to create a 3d 'L' or other to symmetrical shape, can i create a 2D version first then extrude it?
if yes, how do I do it?!

# 2 18-11-2010 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
you can create a image in photoshop, and then import the image into maya, in a way that it will generate a curve for the lines...I cannot remember how its doe...but i know its doable.. ( it might have something to do with paths in photoshop I cant recall truthfully, i just thought it was very interesting when i read about it. )

But once you get the curves, you can use the nurbs tools to loft a surface between the curves, or maybe use the Birail tool , just depending on what your surface looks like and the best method for the geometry you need...Then when done if nessicary you can convert form Nurbs to polys...

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 3 18-11-2010 , 04:37 PM
0_o - all that is way too complicated for me legendofzombi.
I've found how to do what I needed - mesh>create polygon tool -- click around to make a shape and extrude user added image Plenty advanced enough for now.

thanks anyway, i'll remember your advice for the future!

# 4 18-11-2010 , 04:49 PM
The Nurb Herd
there is a text tool... and then use bevel plus. easy.

# 5 18-11-2010 , 11:08 PM
right. it's not that i wanted letters actually - that was just a way of explaining myself. I'll bear this in mind tho, I'm sure i'll need it someday user added image