Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-04-2003 , 10:51 PM

Circle shaped polygons

I am trying to model a piano (that has straight and also circle shaped lines) and wish to know what is the best method. I tried with polygons and booleans operations, but the booleans seems to create too much confusion in the outliner ( a lot of items that when erased caused me problems). Actually, I had problems in keeping all the objects together as one so I could move it freely.

Thanks.

Mário.

:bgreen:
# 2 15-04-2003 , 11:15 PM
Booleoans is sometimes a pain...... if you making something circular, try using nurbs curves and loft them, once you get the depth and shapes you want.... then you can than convert them to polys and make them one object.

If you want to move multiple ojbects you have to group all the objects together. Once grouped, pick the top node in the hypergrape and than you can move all the objects together.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 16-04-2003 , 12:11 AM
Kurt:

I did group the objects, but misteriously when dragging, they move separately (the upper side and feet, for example).

# 4 16-04-2003 , 12:35 AM
Said, are you sure you have the top node of the group selected when you try move it...

Not sure what going on if that not the problem.. post a image if you can....

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 5 17-04-2003 , 12:52 AM
Kurt:

I tried to import just the object that was moving from other copy of the scene and import and it didn't work. I confess, I didn't organize it right, and I couldn't just remodel everything the same I did.
Here goes the "correct image".
Next, I'll try to post the "incorrect".

# 6 17-04-2003 , 12:59 AM
Kurt:

Here's the incorrect (I just selected everything and, with the move tool, I dragged everything down)
See if you can help me.

Thanks...

PS. By the way, how do I post 2 image files in one single message?

# 7 17-04-2003 , 01:18 AM
Hey bud nice model.

I cleaned up the file as best I can you had a lot of unneed history on your shapes.. now if you select the top node in the hypergraph (Cravo1) you can move and scale the hole model.

Now you should be able to model or move any objects with out any trouble

# 8 17-04-2003 , 01:46 AM
Hey man, I don't know how to thank you!

This is my first model and I didn't believe this forum thing would
really work. (I'm new to all this technology thing)
It works!!! Fantastic!!! Sorry...I'm amazed...

Thanks thanks thanks.

Concluding: I would solve this kind of problems if I just turn off
my history button? I tried to clean up things before im my scene like you did but everytime I did this, something important was erased from the Cravo.

# 9 17-04-2003 , 02:19 AM
To clean up history on your model just go edit >delete by type > history... But be carefully only delete history when your sure you have it the way you want it....

Don't turn off the history botton, just delete when you have the model the way you want it.

Glad to help, and welcome to SimplyMaya

Kurt

# 10 17-04-2003 , 02:11 PM
Kevin
welcome to SM said

and cheers for making our new member so welcome mr Kurt user added image