Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 04-12-2011 , 07:58 PM

December Challenge 2011 Robots - Daveido

I'm definately in this challenge user added image Nice theme. I was thinking a bit on the robot I wanted to do... I think I'll stick with a Cylon Centurion. It's gonna be great because 7 years ago, when I started with the whole 3d stuff I made two spaceships from the (then) new Battlestar Galactica series. So I'm now going to make a centurion, maybe a spaceship as well - just for fun - and see the improvements of 7 years! user added image

I hope that the holiday weeks will be enough, I'm a bit overloaded with work on some days, but when I have some time I'll try to work on it user added image

Good luck to everyone.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 06-12-2011 , 02:10 PM
SM Tea Boy
Cool I love the Cylons best of luck to you

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 06-12-2011 , 03:55 PM
Administrator
Hey there,

Welcome back nice to see you on the forum again user added image

# 4 07-12-2011 , 09:28 PM
Thanks, it's great to be back user added image I love these challenges, and it's good that this one's a smaller one, I wouldn't have the time to complete a full scene, but one model placed into an environment nicely is doable user added image

So I started with the head yesterday, it's not much, but it's a start, roughly 1-2 hour of work with some massive research, plus the modeling. These cylons have interesting headshapes... Anyway I'm really getting back into the Battlestar Galactica mood. With this cylon I'll definately go in a torn down, damaged direction, so I'm planning on making some nice textures.

I hope I can do some improvements and finish up the sketching of the head and torso this week.

Attached Thumbnails

For some Maya tips, tutorials and personal insights, nice images etc, check out my blog
https://rencsenyidavid.com/blog
# 5 07-12-2011 , 10:34 PM
Lifetime Member
Nice start user added image

- Jake
# 6 08-12-2011 , 06:40 PM
ok, so I'm doing the torso, still in the sketching phase, the final version will be smoothed down and I still need to define the sharper edges for that. For now I'll do a sketch of all the parts and detail it later.

Here's todays update! user added image

Attached Thumbnails

For some Maya tips, tutorials and personal insights, nice images etc, check out my blog
# 7 08-12-2011 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
wow, that's shaping up really well!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 08-12-2011 , 07:05 PM
Lifetime Member

wow, that's shaping up really well!

Yes it is. looking good.

- Jake
# 9 12-12-2011 , 02:13 PM
So I found yesterday a few truly great reference images on flickr of a cylon centurion figure. And they were so great in detail and in resolution that I'm making some adjustments and these new images will serve as the base for my model. So I have to remodel the torso part a bit, but I try to make everything as low poly as possible for as much time as I can, so change can be easily made - but of course sometime it's just better to start all over... So the abdomen part will be replaced.

I was a bit tired with the upper body part, so I made the legs today, and I think I'm finished with them. Some parts were more difficult than I thought, this organic, human like cylon body has some really interesting shapes and curves user added image So the leg is 90% done, I'll add some tiny detail later on, but I think next I'll make the arms and after that refine the torso user added image Then it'll be ready for texturing and a nice render user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 12-12-2011 , 04:29 PM
Lifetime Member
That's starting to look really nice. I bet those legs where fun lots of cool shapes there.

- Jake
# 11 13-12-2011 , 08:04 PM
Careful Daveido, someone might think you're a professional user added image. The modeling looks superb so far. I love battlestar galactica, more so the original series but the style you're modeling now is pretty sweet looking. I don't really have any critiques. Just wanted to say I think it's looking pretty awesome right now.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 12 15-12-2011 , 04:57 PM
Well, that's the goal anyway user added image To become a professional.
Today I didn't have any time for the cylon... I wanted to finish up the arm and hand completely, but I had some other stuff to do, so it's half finished. I hope I can finish these up next week, I don't know how much time I'll have after Christmas...

I was thinking on the render as well... One ide is to put it on a simple stand with some nice pose (I've been thinking of something like it's holding a galactica dogtag with one hand and ready to fire with the other. The other idea would be to make a Viper or a Cylon Raider and put it next to it, but that's a bit too big of a project for Christmas... user added image We'll see.

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 18-12-2011 , 12:37 AM
Lifetime Member
cool stuff mate...though I think the old Cylon had way more character in him...good stuff though

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 14 18-12-2011 , 02:56 AM
Subscriber
looking sharp man!

# 15 22-12-2011 , 08:13 AM
Really like the model... waiting to see texturing..