Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-03-2005 , 01:13 PM
Subscriber

UV editor

Which of the video tutorials do you all recommend that will give me the most bang for my buck exposure to the ins and outs of the UV editor? I'm interviewing for a job that deals mainly with fixing UVs, and the UV editor is one of my weakest aspects.

I'm kind of hampered by funds/points. I only have 2 points, and just enough money to feed my family and pay for rent, so I can't get any more points for a while.

Thanks for your input,
Fleetside

Do they speak English in What?
# 2 05-04-2005 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber
the docs explain in detail what each options are in the UV texture editor.

# 3 05-04-2005 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber
I think what is trying to be said is, some of the turoials have UV editing in them. But for really indeapth you'll need to go over all the documentation on it.. no one tutorial that I know of exist that goes over every aspect of it.

# 4 05-04-2005 , 06:12 AM
Subscriber
I think the mech texturing vids to a fair job cover UV mapping. But you'll still have to invest some time in experimenting with your own meshes. One thing that I've found helpful is to work in the texture shaded view while playing with UV editor. Doing this with texture already applied provide good way to see how the UVs related to the actual model.

[Edit] Also, if you haven't already, run a google search on UV editing. There are a significant number of HTML based tuts online. learningmaya.com has links to a few of them.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 05-04-2005 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
Thanks everyone. Mchannon, do you happen to know which in the Mech series has the UV editing? I am on a very limited budget.

Thanks,
Fleetside

Do they speak English in What?
# 6 05-04-2005 , 07:48 PM
Subscriber
If you go tothe Video Training section of this site there is subcategory for texturing tutorials... If money is scarce (trust me I can relate) then the least expensive would be the cyclops tut as it only has 4 parts. The others, the apache, the mech, and the frog are all over 9 parts and range from 20 to 27 points.

If you can afford Mike McKinley's book on Maya for Gamer Artists, there is a good section in it on UV editing.

Good luck on this venture.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."