Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-09-2002 , 02:00 AM

maya for architectural rendering?/

hi i am an architect and i would like to know whether u guys feel maya is suited for architectural renderings(interior and exterior)tthan 3ds max.i have been trying to find out a few maya rendered architectural renderings but no luck!can you gimme some leads?some people say it is not possible to get the accuracy with maya as u get with autocad+3ds max is it true?plz clarify?

# 2 28-09-2002 , 02:08 AM
Supreme Being
welcome to the board mariaprabhu.. :p

well i also heard that you can get killer architectural result from autocad+max.. but believe that you can practically make anything with every app..
i can't say for sure if auto+max combo is better than maya.. but i know that maya is a killer app.. which from within' you can make anything..
i'm sure somebody will enlighten on this.. user added image

# 3 28-09-2002 , 10:13 AM
Subscriber
autocad and max would give you results much quicker if you're looking to do something like this
ive used both packages, at school and home, and cad and max give you a gr8 deal of accuracy (measurements etc) and i guess thats what you're looking for when you want to do architectural pics user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 4 28-09-2002 , 11:42 AM
Kevin
for architect work.. I would stick with cad

# 5 28-09-2002 , 12:00 PM
Well ..you could always import some *.EPS in Maya and work from there, right?

# 6 28-09-2002 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
i think hes asking which package is better for the job?
i really dont think maya can compete with cad and max when it comes to buildings

- Simon

# 7 28-09-2002 , 02:13 PM
no i want to know whether u could create buildings and render them on maya too since i want to enroll in a maya tutorial coure.any links to building renderings with maya will help me choose better thanks for the replies guys owe you a lot

# 8 28-09-2002 , 02:14 PM
Hmm I believe it can ... since you CAN change the units of the grid system to whichever unit you see fit (metric system in my case), and with that info you can actually do whatever you want to ... Maya handles too good those vector lines. (or curves)

Simple extrude options .. more planes, more extrudes, more planes and presto you have interior walls, outher walls, stairs etc etc etc ..

# 9 28-09-2002 , 02:15 PM
and by the way wats *.EPS???

# 10 28-09-2002 , 02:20 PM
Subscriber
a cad format maybe? not sure, but its possible in maya, i would just recommend cad

- Simon

# 11 28-09-2002 , 02:44 PM
*.EPS means Encapsulated Post Script, and if I remember correctly it´s a standard file type for translating vector information between apps.

The way the snapping tools work in Maya resemble a lot those of AutoCad .. however AutoCad does have quite a lot more tools on precise representation of arquitectural drawings, which would make it better suited for the task of representing those drawings.

However I would still import import those files for further refinement in Maya (shading networks and stuff) ... besides, with HDRI I´ve seen quite a lot "marvels" of arquitectural renders done entirely ..in Maya.

As I said once before .. It´s not the tools, but the artist that uses them. user added image

# 12 28-09-2002 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber
i second that user added image

- Simon

# 13 29-09-2002 , 02:30 PM
well, autocad and max is roughly 9k USD...
you can get maya complete for 2k, if you add a copy of lightscape for 800 you can render impressive interieur radiosity lightsimulations for about 1/3 of the price.

If architectural visualizations is (and will be) really all you want to do, you won't need mayas animating powers and I might even suggest to look in the LightWave/Lightscape combination (about 2300 USD total); LightWave's renderer is extremely good at exterieur radiosity and Lightscape can handle the interieurs...

sticking with the discreet line of products will of course make the process a little (if not very much) smoother, but you have to decide if this is worth the extra ca$h.

after all you have to see what works best for you, which package/combination you feel the most comfortable with...

# 14 30-09-2002 , 11:58 PM
Subscriber
mayas renderer is unusable for architectural stuff because its unable to render out scenes with very large shadow maps (under windows anyway) user added image

but i like philip idea on buying lightscape for rendering

Monsters! Monsters from the id!
# 15 01-10-2002 , 03:45 AM
SM Alumni
I thought Lightscape had been discontinued?

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.