Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-02-2007 , 05:31 PM

My first every Model

Hi

I am very new to modeling and CGI so have been only using maya for a few weeks. So far I am loving it and cant wait to delve deeper into it. This is my very first attempt at modeling with nurbs etc and just playing about with different things.

I tried to follow the dog tutorial thats on here but had a problem with nonmanifold geometry when converting from polygon to subdivides so the legs do not look fully part of the main body geometry.

This is a screen shot before rendering and basically im looking for some help on how to go about getting good lighting etc as the rendered image at the moment really lacks any detail or definition.

So basically any input is most welcome.

quality isnt too good as the file was to large.

cheers
Robin

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-02-2007 , 12:38 AM
If that's your first model, then you've got greatness coming your way fairly rapidly!! KUTGW!!

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 3 23-02-2007 , 01:07 AM
Subscriber
Welcome to simplymaya rcb25 ...

wow your dog looks really good... looks alot better than when i first did mine user added image

# 4 23-02-2007 , 08:10 AM
Subscriber
So you've already gone from nurbs to polys then? Your dog looks like it's still in nurbs?

With non manifold geometry, look up in the help file the 'cleanup' command. It can help to point out where the geometry is, and sometimes it's pretty good at fixing it (others not so much...)

With lighting, have a look around at "3 point" lighting setup. It basically consists of one light to one side and above of the camera - your main (key) light. To the other side, a secondary light (fill) to add some ambient light to the shadowed areas that the key light doesn't hit. Above and behind goes a back light (or rim light) which highlights the silouette of your character.

Have fun user added image

Last edited by petrol; 23-02-2007 at 02:58 PM.
# 5 23-02-2007 , 06:40 PM
hey cheers for the encouragement. Yes the model went from nurbs to polys (for a bit to get certain geometry right) then to subD. im still new to the whole thing so rendering is completly alien to me. il try to see what ur ideas do petrol! im pretty happy with my first attempt. still trying to get a feel for it all. would love to render my dog to perfection!!!

# 6 23-02-2007 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber
just a question, are you going to combine the legs to the body and body to the head?

# 7 23-02-2007 , 10:17 PM
well the idea of combining the legs to the body and the body to the head was during the stage when the model was in polygons before getting converted to subDs. the problem i had was once i combined them all and tried to convert to subDs to then go on to define the model and get more detail i got errors about nonmanifold geometry and my subDs were left whith huge holes in them. so i didng bother going to poly and combining.

id rather have done so to get a smoother model but as im new i didnt know hot to fix the problem i had hahah.

# 8 25-02-2007 , 04:02 AM
petrol i took your advice on the 3 point lighting and I think it came out reasonably well. Tell me what you guys think..

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 28-02-2007 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber
"well the idea of combining the legs to the body and the body to the head was during the stage when the model was in polygons before getting converted to subDs. the problem i had was once i combined them all and tried to convert to subDs to then go on to define the model and get more detail i got errors about nonmanifold geometry and my subDs were left whith huge holes in them. so i didng bother going to poly and combining."

hmm ok wierd ...

i reckon the three point lighing is abit too intense maybe lowering it but thats my opinion, if you like it thats fine user added image

# 10 09-03-2007 , 03:49 PM
beauty dog!!

xsi6/maya