Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 08-07-2009 , 12:39 PM

Can't manipulate edges, vertex etc.

Hey people,

I think i may have pressed something i perhaps shouldn't have as i can't seem to select edges, vertices etc and manipulate them. i'm able to go into the required component mode but the minute i try to select something the whole object turns yellow and i'm unable to edit the selected parts with the manipulator, however, i am still able to bevel etc, i just need to memorize which parts i'v selected.

Does anyone know what i may have pressed or how to fix this?

The image attached is a screenshot to what keeps happening.

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails

The moment you begin to give up is the moment you begin to fail
# 2 11-07-2009 , 01:27 AM

Re: Can't manipulate edges, vertex etc.

Originally posted by penguin_chilli
Hey people,

I think i may have pressed something i perhaps shouldn't have as i can't seem to select edges, vertices etc and manipulate them. i'm able to go into the required component mode but the minute i try to select something the whole object turns yellow and i'm unable to edit the selected parts with the manipulator, however, i am still able to bevel etc, i just need to memorize which parts i'v selected.

Does anyone know what i may have pressed or how to fix this?

The image attached is a screenshot to what keeps happening.

Thanks in advance

I also can't select any vertices, or anything else.

# 3 11-07-2009 , 03:45 AM
Technical Director
You can't select them, or they just don't display? This sounds like a video card issue. Which Mac, and what video card are you using?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 11-07-2009 , 05:40 AM
I have a macbook pro newest generation 15 inch, Anything that I make I can't select the vertices or faces or etc.
The picture is after I selected vertex in the right click menu and tried to select a vertex.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 11-07-2009 , 06:38 AM
ok so i decided to try and figure out what it was that i'd pressed accidentally so i went across my keyboard pressing each key and number in an act of desperation. As soon as i hit 'b' on the keyboard everything was fine and dandy again user added image Haven't a clue what 'b' is the shortcut for though, still, it fixed the problem.

Hopefully this will help those who are also having the same problem.

The moment you begin to give up is the moment you begin to fail
# 6 11-07-2009 , 08:21 AM
The Nurb Herd
b is for soft selection... There are lots of threads on the forum from people with the same problem. :p

# 7 11-07-2009 , 01:55 PM
The thing is my soft selection is actually turned on, but I can't select anything still

# 8 11-07-2009 , 05:00 PM
Technical Director

Originally posted by alainguil22
The thing is my soft selection is actually turned on, but I can't select anything still

Try resetting your preferences. That might do it if it's not a hardware issue.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 9 11-07-2009 , 05:55 PM
That did it, thank you. I didn't know how reset preferences, but since you told me that I looked a little harder.

Attached Thumbnails