Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 241 20-06-2003 , 08:58 PM
Subscriber
We used to have the so called air portable land rovers (a smaller landrover with collapsible bits for dropping on pallets and shoving in the back of cargo choppers) and that had a heating system based on hot air, not water, but it did have plastic flexible pipes running all round the interior. They were really for the crew though- as long as you 'proof' the engine and make sure it is insulated (they were often left running all night in Norway etc), is there a reason that the body needs defrosting?

# 242 20-06-2003 , 10:08 PM
The pipes can be used as mounts for cargo. just add some boxes that can clip onto the pipes. or a big cargo net over the top of the vehicle that is tied down using the pipes.

"On the other hand... the early worm gets eaten."
# 243 22-06-2003 , 03:19 AM

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 244 22-06-2003 , 03:50 AM
Im guessing this was done with alot of tedious edge creasing, but... I'm quite new to Subd's, so im not sure.

________

- Jacob
# 245 22-06-2003 , 05:26 AM
What I do, is make a very sharp design, then split the faces alot, and do alot of tedious 'by hand' smoothing, and then duplicate it. But Im not sure how Brain does it. He probably found some 3 second way of making it perfect. Brains just good like that. user added image

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!

Last edited by Ultragames; 22-06-2003 at 06:04 AM.
# 246 22-06-2003 , 05:52 AM

Originally posted by Ultragames
...then slip the faces alot...

'Slip' the faces? Do you mean SPLIT the faces?

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 247 22-06-2003 , 07:48 PM
hey guys... its really easy... all ya gotta do is convert it to Sub d's reall subdivisions, like modify>convert poly to sub d's. then select the edges you want hardened, and do a partial crease under sudivision surfaces, you can do it as much as you want, each time gets more of a crease, or you can do a full crease, that creates a really hard line... Try that out, thats all i do user added image Talk to you later!
Brian

and yes user added image it only takes a few seconds user added image

Please check
My (old) website!
# 248 22-06-2003 , 09:59 PM
Ill have to try these sub d's

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 249 23-06-2003 , 12:23 AM
Brian, you never "crease" to amaze me.
lol, that was a good one.

But seriously, I never knew that option was there for Subd's. I had always been using the smooth proxy and the smooth/harden edges but that doesn't have an inbetween smoothness.

Thanks again. user added image

# 250 23-06-2003 , 03:20 AM

Originally posted by brian_ellebracht
But...Amd Just came out with 64 bit processors!!! I would love to get my hands on a set of those... Thats what I am saving up for now. user added image
Brian

Sorry for this late reply man.........But DO NOT get the new 64-bit processors from AMD. Yes. It is a great step up, but no windows version will support a 64-bit processor, so basically you would be expending money for nothing. All it would do would slow your computer down with 32-bit emulation. Spend your money elsewhere, man.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 251 23-06-2003 , 03:43 AM
AHAHHA. Your kidding right drknow? You must be kidding. Unix, Linux, Solaris, all have current 64-bit versions out. And Windows XP is due to come out with theres in only 3 months. Keep saving Brian, have no worries.

Edit: ok, just saw you said, "no windows version." Sorry. But like I said. Its only 3 months away. Keep saving.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 252 23-06-2003 , 05:40 AM
well, i guess, but the first windows 64-bit version will be quite buggy(i can almost quarantee it), and it will still take 32-bit emulation to run most of the processes in maya. The bit-rate of a processor is the amount of data it can take in at once, and unless maya was programmed with 64-bit processors in mind, a 64-bit processor will not do much good. Go on and get it Brian, and tell us how much better it does.

# 253 23-06-2003 , 05:54 AM
oh, I have just been doing a little research, and I found out that 32-bit emulation can be avoided with the itanium processor. I had no idea that this was possible, but I guess they figured out a way. Also, the 64-bit version of windows xp has already been released, along with a new line of hewlett packard itanium computers(i think it was hp). This processor supports over 16 gigs of physical memory, and over 8 terabytes of virtual memory. This baby is top of the line, and will take care of just about any rendering that needs to be done. Be ready to empty your wallet, though, because you will have to buy new memory, a new motherboard, a new OS, the new processor, and I reccomend a huge fan or liquid cooling, because 64-bit processors run very hot at the moment.

# 254 23-06-2003 , 06:13 AM
See, now i thought Window XP 64-bit had already been released, but I wanted to check before i opened my mouth, asked a friend, ended up wrong any way!

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 255 23-06-2003 , 11:59 AM
THanks for the info on the 64 bit Processors... Helped out alot, its very very expensive though.. So by the time i get some money saved up, I might cave in a get a dual xeon system. Those are pretty nice, its what I use at work. user added image anyways, thanks again for all the info, I definetly think i will wait till something else "new" comes out and its cheaper. Thanks!
Brian

BTW if anybody gets the chance to work with LordPhobos I can tell you he is a great guy to work with! Can't wait to show you guys what we have done with the AT TE that he modeled!

Please check
My (old) website!