Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-09-2002 , 05:37 PM

Lets make some curves....

Righto, for one reason or another I wish to make a curve with one of the curve tools to revolve. But, I am really new at this whole "NURBs Curve" thing, so I dont know how all I tools work. How would one go about getting a straight line with the pencil curve tool without having a steady hand? The CV Curve tool can do straight lines, but it automatically curves things for you, which messes me up. Is there another curve toop other then pencil, CV, or the other one whose name I cannot remember and whose function I cannot discern?

# 2 14-09-2002 , 06:05 PM
SM Alumni
Use the CV Curve Tool, turn on Snap to Grid up top on the right hand side, then click to create a point, now click for the next point, then keep clicking and you will see a white line appear, click until it completely goes away, now hit enter, there's your straight line user added image You don't have to use Snap to Grid, I just use it because it's easier to work with things anchored to common points and lines user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 3 14-09-2002 , 08:37 PM
That works for making a straight line, but lets say I want to make an umbrella (I don't). I could make the handle straight, but once I got to the top, the CV tool would just warp everything and I wouldn't be able to make it. I'm sorry I can't be clearer, this is hard to explain user added image Er, picture one of those test tube things. I can make the bottom of it all curvy like, then I go straight up with the curve tool, but I cant do any detail, like ridges or things, without the CV curve tool automatically doing curves.

# 4 14-09-2002 , 09:25 PM
SM Alumni
If you click at the same point more than once, the curve comes closer to a straight line, so you can have your curved bottom, but then, when you want the sharp edges, just click more than once at those spots till it looks the way you want it user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 5 15-09-2002 , 04:00 PM
Aye, that works, but I figured there was an easier way. Ah well, thanks everyone.