Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 24-02-2007 , 07:03 PM
i think that with a run-down place like this, you might not even want to consider outside electric lights... giving a slight blue tinge and also reducing the intensity (by like 50-60%) would let you know that there's moonlight out there, but not enough to illuminate the room on its own. i'd also give a yellowish tint to the lights in the room, because tungsten lights give off a natural yellow glow (whereas the sun gives off a bluish one). only reason i care is when filming in 16mm or 35mm negative or reversal film you have to use filters over the lens to account for the lighting - kinda like current day white balance - and if your overhead light is already white, the remaining lights would give off a different hue based on said filter. plus, since it's a pretty shoddy place, i think i'd make it more dimly lit. make the lamp seem like a 25W bulb. the overhead is fine, but you're trying to set a mood here. people might complain about not being able to see the animation placed within as well, but you're setting a mood. the lighting should complement the dankness of the room, in my opinion.

Accept no substitutions.
# 32 25-02-2007 , 02:03 AM
Subscriber
Cheers for your thoughts folks,

having not looked at the images for a couple of days, I'm liking the orange window light better now. I think it makes it look more grimy, I'll have a bit more of a play with it before I'm happy with it but I think orange is the way I'm going.

NeoStrider: I'll be knocking down the intensity of the bedside light a touch but the other's will be staying the same. All of the room lights have a slight orange hue to them already, I should play with the values a bit to make it more noticable.

MrTerminator: That's a neat idea for a thread, I don't think I'll be putting this room up for it but perhaps I'll make another in once this is done.

I've UV mapped my character and have been playing in photoshop this morning making a texture for him, here's the result. Any thoughts are always appreciated.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 25-02-2007 , 02:36 AM
Hey Mat

The texture looks pretty good, maybe add some veins as he looks very pale and I think they would look pretty damm good on him!

For the room, I like the orage hue from the window, maybe I would just add a tough more yellow and lower the saturation a tad to make it paler, but thats just me!

Good work!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 34 25-02-2007 , 11:17 AM
Subscriber
definately give the guy some veins like gster said, it would be a nice touch, unless you're going for that more cartoony animated style but I also think it'd be a nice touch.
The orange light is better, I agree. I'd also picture the room beeing more candle lit than electric lighting lit, but once again thats just what I see in my head when picturing anything by E. A. Poe

# 35 27-02-2007 , 01:02 AM
Subscriber
THenks Fellas,

I'll get round to putting some veins into the texture soon. I've got the character rigged and couldn't resist rendering him in situ. he still needs something to wear though, a nice pair of Y-fronts should do the trick, and some hair but I'm happy with the progress so far.

Crit is cool,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 27-02-2007 , 01:03 AM
Subscriber
And another, I thought about candles but decided that electric light would be much easier.

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 27-02-2007 , 02:49 AM
Superb Mat, superb! Get some clothes on him and it will look superb! (even more so)

# 38 27-02-2007 , 03:28 AM
Yeah - this is looking really great - really like the atmosphere that you have given your scene. great job mate!
user added image

# 39 27-02-2007 , 04:26 AM
damn pro work man ... very good job user added image

# 40 15-03-2007 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback,

I've not been able to make any updates for the past while as I've had other university work to contend with (academic stuff that makes the course degree status and not just vocational). Essays done and presentations presented, I can now (happily) continue with this.

The thing with this one is that there are no BOLD movements, it's all quite subtle, my animation tutor explained that this was all fine just as long as he could see the character thinking, here's to hoping!!

I've started to animate him this morning, I should have some sort of updates to show later today.

Later,

Mat.

# 41 15-03-2007 , 05:23 PM
Subscriber
Ok,

I've spent a couple of hours messing around and I've got the basic idea of how I'd like him to move for the first shot (about 7 seconds).

THIS LINK will open a playblast of the shot (about 1.1Meg WMV so it'll probably be best to right click and save as).

Any feedback or crit would be cool.

Cheers,

Mat.

Last edited by happymat27; 15-03-2007 at 05:26 PM.
# 42 15-03-2007 , 11:38 PM
wow - very impressed with your progress happymat - this is looking very cool. My one comment would be that the movement seems a bit stop start - maybe a bit of a change in speed would help and if he was to overshoot the movement as well, but really this is looking great and far beyond anything I could hope to do.

Good work mate - it's always good to see what you are up to. user added image

# 43 15-03-2007 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
Cheers arran

and congrats on the wining the Jan-Feb comp, you must post a photo of the model when you get it.

The playblast is just an outline of the movement, a sketch if you like. I think that I'll be refining it for a while before I'm happy with it, April 22nd is the deadline so I have a bit of time before I need to panic!! Thanks for suggesting the follow through on the head movement by the way.

Take it easy,

Mat.

By the way cool avatar, is Jimmy Saville a celebrity in the states or did you just happen upon him whilst perusing vintage DJ websites?

# 44 16-03-2007 , 12:02 AM
ha ha - no, I am pretty sure Jimmy Saville is not a celebrity over here. I was born in London so I remember him from his days on Top of the Pops and Jim'll Fix It.

Looking forward to the finished animation. user added image

# 45 16-03-2007 , 12:13 AM
Hey Mat. Like the playblast, I didnt read Arrans post untill after I watchedthe vid and can only agree.

One other thing that I might add would be a little pause after hes looked at the gun, and then the head movement as your trying to get this thoughts so in his head its kind of like "im sitting here in despair, wait ive got a gun eyes contact, "pause" hmmmmm (slowley starts to look at it)" Which I'm sure that'swhat your getting over, but I really think the longer pause would make it.

Sorry if I sound like i'm babbleing.

Cheers

Steve