Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-07-2007 , 09:18 AM

Lotus Elise

Hey guys. My first ever WIP and first ever model in Maya. Its a lotus elise (my fav car). Would love to hear some feedback and constructive critisim.

Louis

Attached Thumbnails

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 2 09-07-2007 , 10:10 AM
Subscriber
Posting a wireframe should help on the constructive part user added image

In ICT there are two kinds of people : Technically challenged artists, and artistically challenged technicians.

I am, without a doubt, the latter.
- Dave
# 3 09-07-2007 , 10:17 AM
Oh sure. Sorry here we go:

Attached Thumbnails

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 4 09-07-2007 , 05:12 PM
excellent car, that too is my favorite along with the Lotus Exige, excellent manufacturer, havent built up the skills to do it justice yet.

Anyway, to the model- It looks to me like you have a lot of geometry on the side/door area of the car that you will probably use later, but for the stage your at right now all that extra geometry will either get in the way, slow your down or possibly cause enough problems you might need to start whole sections over. Remember you always want to have the absolute least amount of polygons you need to manipulate in order to affect your model. And if you cant get the result you need with what you have then you add more strategically where you need.

Im not sure because of the angle but it looks like none of the paneling on the car is lining up correctly. You might also want to double check you have all your polygons 4 sided, i think i see several 5+.

Finally on a Lotus Elise the windshield is really curvy, from the view it looks as if its flat.

You may also want to mold the headlight housing directly out of the car for a smooth transition than try and get that sphere to work.

If you need a hand and im on my AIM handle is in my sig. ide be glad to help any way i can, if i can.

# 5 09-07-2007 , 06:36 PM
Still, for a first model ever in maya this is really good!

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 6 09-07-2007 , 09:36 PM
Thanks for the comments. I like your taste of cars twisted dragon. I have added you in msn mine is louisstow@hotmail.com. I have curved the windshield. Am doing more work on it so will post an update later. Thanks for your encouraging comment kinddoggofwar user added image

Louis

# 7 09-07-2007 , 11:36 PM
Subscriber
im always around if u need help also. if u want, my msn is ejmattison@yahoo.com .....im usually on my computer or its linked to my cell

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 8 10-07-2007 , 12:44 AM
well not to sound negative but the shape doesnt look right and also this is a pretty difficult car to model ill suggest start with somthing easy like a golf or a car with less curves, so you can work on your modeling skills, just my 2 cents

# 9 11-07-2007 , 04:16 AM
Yeah I was mainly focusing on the front so I didnt bother with the shape. I'm modelling it at the moment. Starting to look like it now. Tell me what you think. Any advice?

P.S The photo is off the back section because Im pretty much done on the front. Just goto change the headlights. (have no idea how though)

Louis

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 11-07-2007 , 04:29 AM
looks like its coming along steady but it still looks like you have way too many polygons for the amount of detail youve shown. you may want to nip and tuck some polys as you go to clean up the lines a bit.

# 11 11-07-2007 , 04:59 AM
Hey twisted dragon. Whats your msn address again? I have been loooking at other peoples car models and it looks like they do it in parts rather than one big model. So I think I may have done the wrong thing. Oh well it is my first try.

Yeah Im trying to have as less polygons as I can.