Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-11-2007 , 03:17 PM

Alpha channel set up?

Hi,

using an image plane to texture an eyebrow, I've for an alphachannel that matches to hairs exactly.

Tried saving as a tiff a and a targa, which automatically assigns the file to transparency. This didn't work, tried in the connection editor to manually assign the out alpha to the transparency r, g and b. This didn't work either.

Tried inverting the alpha channel in photoshop, since I wasn't sure it maya read white or black as transparent. This didn't work either.

anyone know what's happening?

thanks,

gubar

# 2 12-11-2007 , 03:40 PM
Got it partially working, with white as the transparent background in the alpha (which surprised me, I thought it was the other way about?).

Still got a problem; though it is transparent, when I layer them, I can still see the background, but I can't see the layer under it (was going to have layers of hair for the brows and the head hair, this is just a very rough test of the technique).

I've tried setting mental ray's trace depth higher, but still I can't see the underneath layer's colour.

again, any help would be great.

thanks,

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 13-11-2007 , 03:17 PM
Subscriber
I'm not an expert on that, but whenever I use transparency I use .png's they've always done the job for me

www.animateme.me.uk