Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-08-2008 , 12:23 PM
Subscriber

exporting pieces of a project?

Hi i have a project...a character that i have built...and i want to use a skeleton from another project...how do i copy and past...or export and then import...i guess im asking what is the best way to bring something from one file into another...
thanks

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
Student: Academy of Art University S.F.
My WIP
# 2 27-08-2008 , 01:16 PM
I would guess Import the file you want into the scene, but.. I don't really know! user added image

Good luck anyways. You can try my suggestion, but save before you try it. If it doesn't work.. eh... then you have a saved copy! user added image

# 3 28-08-2008 , 12:42 AM
Subscriber
You can import do the export, import thing (from the file menu), but if its just a skeleton you can select the root joint and copy (ctrl c) open your other scene, and paste (ctrl v) in there.

Chris

# 4 29-08-2008 , 06:02 AM
Subscriber
the only thing with copy pasting or importing is that the things you get have funky prefixes attached to them

copy pasted stuff have a long annoying "copy_pasted_" prefix, not exactly helpful and it takes forever to get rid of it all, unless you really don't care
if there's a way to mass delete an affix from names then i would like to know...

importing will just attach the scene file's name as a prefix, so it's a lot more helpful than "copy_paste_" prefix since you know where you got the stuff from

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 29-08-2008 , 09:25 AM
ahh I would assume that if there is any way to get rid of the prefix/suffix added, it would be through some script of some sort. It'd probably involve substrings and arrays. I don't know anything at all about Mel, but if it can do that, then thats what the general program would be about.

I think. user added image

# 6 29-08-2008 , 09:29 AM
Subscriber
despite me saying so in my sig, i dont actually know enough about MEL or Python (yet) to know how scripting languages differ from non-scripting languages, but yeah, i'd imagine it would have some kinda substring operation in there somewhere

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 7 29-08-2008 , 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
I wondered about that as well, so I imported it as a group, select the group node (in the Outliner or whatever) then on to Modify>Prefix Hierarchy Names, left it as prefix and then poof, the group now has 'prefix' in its name but the 'xxxx' prefix is gone from everything in the group, then you can rename the group or destroy it. If there is another way of doing this I'd like to know lol (I thought thats why the 'Search and replace' thingy was for).

- Genny
# 8 29-08-2008 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber
:mg: i never knew such menu item existed.... that helps a lot

# 9 01-09-2008 , 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
Ok so this thread isn't new but I stumbled ass backwards into something else about renaming , maybe it'll help somebody. Select the objects and use the input field, choose rename then enter a name for the objects.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny