Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-04-2003 , 12:59 AM

TIP - How to rest an object precisely on the Grid.

Hello guys,

While playing around a little with Manipulators today I found this handy tecnique to rest an object on the grid.
Thought I´d share it with you.
  • Select the object.
  • Press the W key (shortcut for Move Tool).
  • Press the Insert key (turns on Pivot edit mode).
  • Press and hold down the V key (shortcut for Point Snap), move the Pivot center to the lowest point of your model, once it snaps into place, drop it and release the V key.
  • Press the Insert key (turns off Pivot edit mode).
  • Press and hold down the X key (shortcut for Grid Snap), move the object upwards using the Y handle, once it snaps into place, drop it and release the X key.
  • Go to Modify > Center Pivot
Cheers,

Last edited by adldesigner; 23-04-2003 at 03:19 AM.
# 2 23-04-2003 , 01:05 AM
nice technique adl! couldnt you also just centre the pivot first and then hold the x button to snap to the centre of the grid? That would save you moving the pivot.

Do you know if there is a way to snap to the different grid lines (the grey ones)? or do you always have to snap to the centre point?

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 23-04-2003 , 01:15 AM
Subscriber
pure morning: yep u can snap to grid points
you just hold X when ur move tool is on, then middle click and slight move on any grid point and it shud snap there (or you cud contrain to just one axis like adl said)

X = grid snap
C = curve snap
V = Point snap (i love this user added image)

one thing more ppl dnt no, altho i just mentioned it, is the quick way of snapping using the middle mouse button. you click on where you WANT to snap to with the MMB, then jerk the mouse slightly and boom! user added image done

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 4 23-04-2003 , 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Pure_Morning
... couldnt you also just centre the pivot first and then hold the x button to snap to the centre of the grid? That would save you moving the pivot.

No, because that would actually center your object in the grid´s center -defeating the whole purpose of the technique-. We point-snap it to a point so we get that point to grid-snap the whole object on top of the grid.

... Do you know if there is a way to snap to the different grid lines (the grey ones)? or do you always have to snap to the centre point?

When you turn on grid-snapping it´ll snap to the nearest point the Pivot is moving, so basically you can choose at which point of the grid it would snap. -not necesarily the center-

Glad you found it nice. user added image

Last edited by adldesigner; 23-04-2003 at 01:18 AM.
# 5 23-04-2003 , 01:17 AM
really!?!? wicked I will be using that tomorrow then!! no more squi-iffy curves for me then!!! user added image

I love threads like this, they really open up new things that you mite not see by yourself! little secrets that really open up your workflow! any more little secrets adl?

user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB

Last edited by Alan; 23-04-2003 at 01:19 AM.
# 6 23-04-2003 , 04:12 AM
The Maya Mountain
never figured that to be secret. lol user added image