Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-02-2004 , 02:48 PM

D-rider 3000

OK, I was also inspired by the displacer beast and started this. I am pretty happy wih the form, and plan on adding detials like a radar screen, some wires, a reign (maybe) and of course small imperfections and wrinkles etc..., and the dreaded texturing process. I hope to add a rider, and animate it one day. I see it as kind of roughly pouncing, with the ability to run quickly and smooth once it gets to a certain speed.

Just still learning and loving Maya.

Attached Thumbnails

Lungs not guns....
# 2 04-02-2004 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber
I would really like to see this one finished. Looks way cool to me. Has a lot of DR.Suess quality to it.

# 3 04-02-2004 , 11:21 AM
ok, I promise I will!!! user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 4 04-02-2004 , 03:00 PM
I started to map the saddle, and man, SO many different curves and shapes. I think it may take a while. What kind of textures do you see for it Pony? I am confused as to which design direction to go. Right now I have a silver, with a corrosive look, and soldered bump for the panels (so it looks like it was hand welded with metal pieces....) Not sure though, maybe scales or hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??????/

Lungs not guns....
# 5 04-02-2004 , 03:17 PM
Looks good, Interesting style to it.

# 6 05-02-2004 , 03:29 AM
Subscriber
I would go for like mettle front to the saddle. Like what you have collected so far. And leather for the back part. just put ridge in the bump where it changes from one thing to the other. about the animals skin.. humm don't know. I was thinking a lime green would be very DR. Suess but thin, maybe you don't want to go that far with the look. Maybe like a calico or palomino pattern with the colors on the skin?

# 7 05-02-2004 , 11:47 AM

trying

ok, this is one direction, but I am not sure, or finished, just posting some progress user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Lungs not guns....
# 8 05-02-2004 , 02:43 PM
Ok, I am going to put this texture on the beast. Yeah, that will be better. There is nothing worse than being at your day job, and seeing this, and having NO maya until getting home user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 9 05-02-2004 , 03:03 PM
Subscriber
thats cool. don't forget to put some dirt and ware marks.

# 10 05-02-2004 , 06:13 PM
It looks like there is a little texturing problem on the side. The texture looks defined in the middle pare of the saddle, then seems to be a little stretched by the top and bottom.

I think a darker leather brown would go with the green instead of the blue.

For the animals color, I think a weak chroma/value red would look cool on it Or even better would be that blue and purple texture on the inside of the saddle.

I like the design of the creature something about it seems like an earlier generation fantasy style.

Improve
# 11 05-02-2004 , 08:17 PM
Great, and thanks. I know this is ony about about 50% done (map-wise) I was just showing pony the texture I made. I have never mapped anything this irregular before, so bare with me. user added image

I think I am going to make the skin like the green on the saddle first ( I actually tried that purple pattern, and it was REALLY loud) user added image and see how that looks, though I like the idea of red for some reason.... really hard to map.............................learning

Lungs not guns....
# 12 05-02-2004 , 08:50 PM
Is the model Poly or Sub-D? I am learning about mapping poly's myself, I have been doing it for maybe two weeks now. If you need any help let me know.

I personally have found that I like using the planar mapping the most. For your case I would do something like select the top faces then planar map along the Y, Shrink and move it out of the 1 and 1 box, Then do the legs along whatever axis the lie maybe using the cylindrical to unwrap depending on what texture you want to place on it.

Once you go through it a couple of times, it becomes more tedious and less difficult.

Good luck, Hope I was some help.

Improve
# 13 05-02-2004 , 08:54 PM
In a weird way it reminds me of the bird-like creature from the last story in the cartoon movie "Heavy Metal" that Tarna rides...a rougher, more cartoony version but a version nonetheless. You should detail the anatomy and saddle a bit more and not rush into texturing it so quickly. It's a good start, though.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 14 05-02-2004 , 09:09 PM
Interesting work. Keep it coming!

-------------------------------------------
# 15 05-02-2004 , 10:42 PM
The displacer beast was kind of inspiring wasnt it. I hope to see more from that person. the lower section of the leg is a little fat but that might be me.