Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-12-2015 , 01:03 PM

Creating Rounded Polygons

Okay I'm not sure if I can explain this exactly how I want to, but I will try to do it. I'm using the create a polygon tool to do more complex shapes, in the project I'm working on its a scarab leg. However when I extrude it, it of course ends up with a flat face on top. What I want is a rounded face so it looks more natural instead of just flat.

user added image

This is the image from the top and side view to show how complex the basic shape is and how flat it is on the top. What I'm wanting is kind of a beveled edge however I want it through out the top face to make it appear rounded. Best way I can think of explaining it is like the puffy stickers you can get. If I haven't explained this well enough please tell me, I'll try to explain it better. Any help with this is greatly appreciated! I'm working on Maya LT 2016.

# 2 30-12-2015 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber
Hi gothtini,
well explained. It would be good to see the mesh together with the shader to recommend a solution.
So far of course you can try to bevel the upper edge with the command "bevel" under =>modelling=>edit mesh.
If you have a mesh on top of your object with a center area you can try also to mark the center face or vertice and move it up under usage of "soft selection" under tool settings. Here you can adjust the curve and radius and this also should be able to give you the desired effect.
One other option would be also to lower down the upper outside edge line and simply hit "3"" to smooth the object out. But this depends a little bit on the mesh, which is not visible right now.

Best regards

Jens