Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-02-2008 , 04:51 PM

Two parents and one object?

I have a guy surfing, and completely animated. All I want is to attach a surf board to both of his feet so that it stays perfectly in place. I've only been able to parent the board to one foot, and then have to animate the board for the rest. It doesn't look quite as smooth as I'd hoped. Anyone have any advice how I could, essentially, make it as nice as if the surfboard was parented to both feet?

Appreciate any help on this!

# 2 01-02-2008 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber
Are you using just 'parenting' or 'parent constrains'? As if you use the latter you should be able to parent the board to both feet.

Chris

# 3 02-02-2008 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber
or you could parent the object to the board.., then group the object (group it to itself) and parent that to the board.., just a theory.., never tried it!!

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 03-02-2008 , 12:01 AM
maybe I'm not seeing something, but when I use parent constraint it still acts in the same way as parenting normally does. I set it, and the board only parents to one foot. How do I do it?

I constrain the left foot, and it works perfectly. Now if I try to add another constraint to the right foot, then the board starts twirling and flipping all around the scene. If I the feet in either order, then the board, and make a parent constraint, I get the same result (the flipping board).

Thanks!

Last edited by etchehsketch; 03-02-2008 at 12:05 AM.
# 5 03-02-2008 , 04:39 AM
Subscriber
flipping is another subject and i forget when and why it happens.., it has something to do with the IK solver and the angle of rotation.., more to the piont, the degree of rotation of joints.., look im walking into an area i forgot and dont want to pretend i know what im talking about.., i dont think the problem is your constraints at all.., parent constraint or any constraint.., unless that is some how related to the IK solver problem of flipping (and i think it is, i think you need to move your constraint to a position further than the rotation of the joints, or whatever it is you have an IK solver on.., the constraint will flip if it goes 'above' the position the of the IK solver is constrained to..??.., something like that..???) . you have a flipping problem there mate.., not a constraint problem.., look up IK solvers and Flipping.

after i posted the other post.., i thought about it.., and i thought it didnt make sense.., should be able to use as many constraints as you want??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 6 08-02-2008 , 07:12 AM
quick solve for this kind of rig:
group your board and constrain it by point to one foot and then aim constrain the board group to the other foot (or you can aim constrain the point constrain grp to the other foot).
This will give us a solution not unlike an IK solver, except it is with constraints so we can turn it on and off, if you want to control the rotation along the board then orient constrain the board object to the foot we used to point constrain the board group.

Hope that made some sense.