Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-03-2008 , 01:59 AM

help whit mental ray

hello i fairly new to maya and have the 2008 version but every time i try to get to the render option and then mental ray it says " // Error: Cannot use data of type no type in a scalar operation. "

i seriously need your help, becuase i am in the middel of a school projekt and now i cant render my frame ...

# 2 24-03-2008 , 07:05 AM
I just ran into this problem too :headbang: . Weird thing was it only happens on certain files and only in 64-bit. Spent a couple hours going through the mel code to figure out why but with no luck. Another wierd thing I noticed is that once you try to view the render settings on the corrupt file, you have to restart maya before you can view the render settings on non-corrupt files.

The solution I've found is to start up maya with a new scene. Then change the render settings to use mental ray. Then import the corrupt file and save the scene user added image. It's important to change the render settings to MR before importing the corrupt scene.

# 3 25-03-2008 , 02:42 AM
thanks for reply it helpt alot, i worked for most of my sceens at that projekt, ( 8 out of 10 ) the funny thing is that i locatet the source how ever i am not sure of it.

but i seames like the mistake is on every file after i made a psyhially sun /spelling? and then saved... but i am not quite sure...

but anyway thanks for replay savede a lot of work user added image