Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 29-03-2009 , 04:46 PM
Not sure I know any good free uv mapping/texturing vids but Kurt did a couple that I recall for SM.

This model would be pretty straight forward to UV map. (Note UV mapping seems daunting and at first. I found it to be almost unbearable and for the longest time I decided I was going to be a MODELER ONLY because I hated UV's so much, but with time you will find that if you break the task up into smaller tasks and are methodical it will become less frustrating although I find the tedium of UV mapping remains.

(In my case I find that I can UV map farely painlessly now. Unfortunately I realized that now that I can unwrap my models I lack the painting and photoshop and 3d painting tool skills to actually apply textures lol.)

Here is the way I'd attack this model:

1. split it in half
2. separate the leg at the shoulder
3. separate the mandible/tentacle thingies

At this point you are ready to start projecting the maps

4. Planar project the body
5. unwrap and the body and it should be done

6. Planar proj the leg
7. pick an edge up the back of the leg and detach the uv's
8. unwrap the leg and that should be done

For each tentacle / mandible thingy

9. Planar proj
10. pick seam edge on inside edge detach uv's
11. unwrap and they should be done

I'll take a look at it later today.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 29-03-2009 at 04:50 PM.
# 17 29-03-2009 , 05:41 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by ctbram

1. split it in half
2. separate the leg at the shoulder
3. separate the mandible/tentacle thingies

i'd skip this part. user added image ...you can detach the legs etc in the UVTE.

# 18 29-03-2009 , 05:57 PM
hammer is right. You don't have to separate the geometry. You can just select the faces and UV snapshot the selected bits.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 19 29-03-2009 , 05:59 PM
how to separate legs and other things frm the model.Does it means dividing the model into parts that makes the parts behave like an different object.Is the operation is like
1. selecting the face that i want to separate
2. Mesh>Extract

how to lock transformation of any vertex or edge of any object?(yes... vertex or edge of any object not the object itself.Cause i am working with the object and i want to lock the transformation of certain vertics so when i will be sculpting then they will only move in y direction only.)

im also facing some problem with the model.When i tried to turn the model to sub-d frm poly then it says "One or more edges is nonmanifold.
".But when i run the clean up under the mesh menu then it distorts the paw very much!wht im supposed to do now.....

Last edited by iamcreasy; 29-03-2009 at 08:11 PM.
# 20 29-03-2009 , 11:31 PM
Non-manifold geometry - If cleanup messes up the model. Try using the polygon select tool, checking for NMG. It will highlight the problem and you can try to manually fix it.

In many cases the only real solution is to delete the offending region and simply remodel it.

I will look through the SM tutorials and although they are not free I recall there are some very inexpensive ones that cover the basics.

Trust me investing in a few inexpensive tutorials will save you an a great deal of frustration. It is very hard to self teach yourself proper modeling work flow and UV layout and texture is orders of magnitude more complex. Trying to figure it all out on your own is a recipe for disaster.

========================================

I can't make you a tutorial without actually shooting a camtasia loop (which might not be a bad idea to include in the sites FREE tutorial section) but I can block out the basic process:

1. "separate" the parts to be UVed by applying a number of different colored lambert shaders (See the screenshot below).

2. Select the individual colored parts by using the select faces with material. Then take a planar projection. then cut edges and unwrap and tweak UV's to create the UV map.

3. apply a UV texture Pattern to see the UV's are even. Tweak UV's as needed or re-think where you are placing the texture seams.

So here is an example of step 1...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 30-03-2009 at 05:13 AM.
# 21 29-03-2009 , 11:32 PM
Step 2 - Layout the UVs

Here would be the resulting UV layout selecting parts by color, then projecting, then cutting seams, and finally unwrapping. (plus some small amount of manual uv tweaking)

notice for the leg and the symmetric mandible things I left them over lapped. You could separate these shells and paint them individually.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 29-03-2009 at 11:40 PM.
# 22 29-03-2009 , 11:36 PM
and finally step 3 - apply a UV texture pattern to look for stretching.

There are some area's that stretching cannot be avoided. Like the area around the tips of the mandible things.

Seams are also unavoidable, but there are tricks to hide them. Also I did this very quickly (about 40 minutes) so there may be better ways to cut the model up to hide the seams or get less distortion.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 30-03-2009 at 04:46 AM.
# 23 29-03-2009 , 11:38 PM
Here is the maya file for you to look at...

Attached Files
File Type: rar game_monster_004.rar (84.9 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by ctbram; 30-03-2009 at 05:35 AM.
# 24 30-03-2009 , 04:33 AM
The Nurb Herd
So are you just doing this guys whole project now? :p I bet the next problem will be " omg, how do I paint the texture and rig it?" hahaha

# 25 30-03-2009 , 04:47 AM
I don't mind, I was bored today and have not been feeling well so this was a pleasant distraction. I only spent about an hour and half.

Hopefully the information will help Iamcreasy and others in the SM forum.

PS - This would be a good inorganic modeling, UV layout, and texturing tutorial. It is much simpler then the models I have seen here at SM and DT yet would cover almost all the things you need to learn about low poly modeling, layout, and texturing.

Last edited by ctbram; 30-03-2009 at 05:04 AM.
# 26 30-03-2009 , 04:58 AM
The Nurb Herd
yeah it looks like it will be really helpful, i was just teasing. user added image

# 27 30-03-2009 , 05:35 AM
HERE ARE SOME TUTORIALS TO CONSIDER..

(some are free, some are farely inexpensive from both SM and DT)

They teach proper work flow for modeling (to help make clean topology), and teach the basics of UV layout.

modeling
////////////

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...d=87 .... free - cartoon dog
https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...tml?tut_id=138 .... free - human form
https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...tml?tut_id=144 ..... 24 points - Dragon
https://www.digitaltutors.com/store/p...&cat=39&page=1 .... $56 - subd-modeling workflow - dinosaur

texturing
///////////

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...tml?tut_id=145 ..... 28 points - Dragon
https://www.digitaltutors.com/store/p...productid=3536 ... $56 - UV mapping workflow - dinosaur

modeling and texturing
/////////////////////////////

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...tml?tut_id=139 ..... 30 points - Hippo

notes -

(1) The Hippo tutorial seems like it would be nice as it covers organic modeling, UV layout, and Texture Painting, and 30 points is around $59
(2) The dragon and dinosaur modeling tutorials are good for the project your are working on because they give a nice work flow for creating a taloned foot, which your reference images have but your model does not.

Last edited by ctbram; 30-03-2009 at 01:44 PM.
# 28 30-03-2009 , 10:11 AM
With a little work I moved the seam into an area where it will not easily be seen.

1. Lambert shaders showing where how the model was cut up for UV layout. Note that the model was cut in half then planer projections where taken, then the two body haves and the top and bottom mandible things were flipped and sewn.

I left the inside of the legs and underbelly and the middle mandibles flipped and overlapped so they could be painted at the same time. You could separate them (the trade off is less texture space.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 30-03-2009 at 10:16 AM.
# 29 30-03-2009 , 10:12 AM
Here is the new UV layout...

Attached Thumbnails

# 30 30-03-2009 , 10:13 AM
And here is the UV texture pattern applied...

Attached Thumbnails