Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 04-09-2003 , 06:59 PM

Is there a limit to RAM?

Hello!
I currently have 1GIG of RAM and a 64 mb Diamond Fire GL2 Graphics Card.

The IT guys at my company say more RAM isnt going to make a difference, do you guys agree?

Also can you recommend a good graphics card to upgrade to?

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!user added image user added image user added image
Debra

# 2 04-09-2003 , 08:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
If you don't have the processor speed to take advantage of the RAM, then I do agree.

Having 5 Gigs of Ram and a Pentium 2 400mhz... you're NOT using all that Ram.

# 3 05-09-2003 , 09:53 AM
Lot's of RAM is good (especially when rendering) when you're dealing with with large textures. I have 1GIG too and have had some trouble rendering few big scenes. Got around by rendering from command line though (tweaking down the tile size helped).

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 05-09-2003 , 04:40 PM
I guess my question now is: Does the processor and RAM have to be upgraded together? I have 1 GIG RAM and 1.5 Ghz processor. If I want to get more RAM should I buy an additional processor or should I upgrade that too?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!user added image user added image

# 5 06-09-2003 , 03:17 PM
Subscriber
No, they dont have to be but like Mike said, if your CPU can't handle all that ram then no need to upgrade the ram...

and to answer the original "is there a limit to ram" question, yes there is... user added image

32Bit Windows allows you up to 4GB I think..where as the 64Bit version allows 16TB but not too sure on that one... I just know it's a lot more user added image

-Emo