Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-09-2005 , 01:17 PM

polygons smooth

i have been making a car, and when i render it it just looks really jagged becasue of the polygons. How do I get it so that it is really smooth like the ones you see in WIP?
I have tried to convert it to sub-ds, but when I did this loads of the olygons formed into circles and i lost the actual shape of the car.

# 2 08-09-2005 , 01:32 PM
Subscriber
Can you post a screen shot. Check your pm inbox.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 3 08-09-2005 , 01:49 PM
unless j5ive has already mentioned it in his pm then you can:

1) select the car and do polygons -> smooth to get a fully smoothed car.
2) play about with edit polygons -> normals -> smooth/harden and experiment with the settings.
3) await better advice in this thread from the experts user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 4 09-09-2005 , 08:46 AM
I am at the library so I cant get a screen to you today, but let me try to explain a little better.
I have mad the car, and then I split it into more manageable chunks in separate layers.
So for example I take the bonnet. I hoghlight the object, and then I go to convert polygons to sub-d's. There are two number options in this box and I dont know what they mean.
Any how as a result of clickijng this every one of my individual polygones which form the bonnet, turn into circular shapes- yhey become detached and form these shapes, it looks wierd.

# 5 09-09-2005 , 04:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
if your other question regarding the Keep Faces Together is any indication, I'd imagine that you didn't have the option on when you made the car, and thus have a lot of extra faces and such all over the vehicle where extrudes had been done. This would result in odd results after smoothing.

Your best bet, unfortunately, would be to start over, with the Keep Faces Together option applied.

Unless you happen to still have all of your history, in which case, you can select each extrude action that was done and turn on the Keep Faces Together option in each of their respective attributes.