Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-10-2005 , 11:42 AM
Subscriber

Need help with how to model the feet and toes.

Hi there all,
I am having some troubles modeling the feet and toes of my character. My biggest problem is 2 things. The first thing is for what ever free online tutorials that are out there are, I could not find any of them that detailed. (see below for links that I have found). The second thing I am having problems with is the references that I found don't show how each toe looks like. So I am just wonder what do you guys like doing to resolve these problems. Meaning are you just estimating or did you ever found any tutorials that helped you out. Here are some tutorials that I found but didn't help me out.

https://www.3d.sk/tutorials/Modeling_a_foot_in_Maya.htm
https://www.secondreality.ch/tutorial...ot/foot01.html
https://www.silo3d.com/Tutorials/User...s/tjnyc_12.htm

... also www.learningmaya.com did not have one foot tutorial link which I was really suprised about that.

# 2 13-10-2005 , 12:42 PM
reference reference reference user added image

Hunt the net for reference photos. Take your sock off and draw/model it. Get a digital camera and photograph it. Download the reference photos from www.3d.sk (costs to join). Buy some plasticine and model it.
In maya, try modelling it, bin it and try again. Re-read the tutorials after each attempt and try and apply what they talk about. Try simple shapes and when happy move to advanced detail.

I'm not trying to be nasty or anything, just to give you ideas.
Those links were quite nice for general viewing of the foot shape though.
Just found a couple more for you:

https://www.animationartist.com/2001/...eet_part1.html

https://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials...farc/body1.asp

As with the second link, its a general body modelling tutorial so maybe searching for those might give better results.
Good luck user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 3 13-10-2005 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
I agree with Tick, keep trying and your workflow should evolve to the better. I know mine has when it comes to organic models, but it's takes a while, and a few failures user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 4 17-10-2005 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber

Sorry for not responding

Hey guys,
I appoligize for not responding back to you guys. However, in the past week I had gone through 5 exams, 2 of them where pre-exams, in school. Anyways, I am back for a little while and I like to say thanks for giving me the tips tick135. Also I did not take any of your suggestions as being nasty. I understand that it is difficult to give out help when the original person of the thread explains they have already tried some of the things that are usally common. However, what I was tring to say was even if you find good photos, the problem is that you are not going to be able take a camera shot of say, someone's middle toe. Meaning you can either get a good view shot from the big toe side view or from the pinky toe side view. Nevertheless, the rest of the toes, you are not going to be able to do so without slicing off someone elses toes off and that would not be a nice thing to do to someone. Wouldn't it?

So in my spare time, I have been just retring to do the steps that you have told me. So far things are somewhat looking ok, and I got the foot pretty much boxed out, but that still doesn't mean that I am going to mess it up.

# 5 18-10-2005 , 08:20 AM
Just give it a try and see how it comes out.
If you dont like it then try again - it'll probably come out better the next time. Some artist said that everybody has a million bad drawings in them so they just have to keep trying and trying till they get the bad drawings out and start doing good drawings. The same could well apply here (though maybe not millions of models!). Try a few different times and you'll start getting better. Good luck user added image

Another good quote is along the lines of - art is about making mistakes and knowing which ones to keep. A good one to remember if you think you might mess things up user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 18-10-2005 at 08:23 AM.