Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-12-2002 , 02:13 AM
Subscriber

Guitaring

hey all
im just starting out with the electric guitar, i can play the acoustic a bit, but now im lookin to purchase an electric with an amp
could anyone recommend a decent beginner guitar that comes with an amp for under/round about £200 ($300)?
ive been lookin at Ibanez guitars being a metal fan and all

oh yeah, one question, how do you achieve distortion on an electric without pedals and if the amp doesnt have a distortion feature?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 03-12-2002 , 02:19 AM
I have an old Ibanez 470 and it still rocks! Now that I'm older though I kind of want to get back to basics and get a telecaster or les paul but that's not in the current cash pipeline user added image. Ibanez would be a good choice, especially if yer into metal. For an amp....well, that's a tough one...especially finding both for under $300. You might want to look into one of those amp modelers like Line 6's pod or Johnson's j-station (which I have). It models tons of different amps....maybe not exact but it's nice to be able to crank up the marshall or mesa boogie tones in headphones without waking the neighbors.

# 3 03-12-2002 , 02:23 AM
Subscriber
ask Kev about it... i think he went for 3 years in hollywood for music!!!! damn!! thats impressive

# 4 03-12-2002 , 03:34 AM
I wouldn't suggest buying a guitar and amp for less than $300. But if you absolutely had to you can get:

Fender Clone (any brand that looks like a fender) $150
Gorilla Amp (great distortion built in) $150

Pawn shops are great places to get your first setup.

distortion usually comes from a pedal. most amps have it (or overdrive) . guitars don't usually have distortion built in. If it does it's probably not a good guitar.

My advice on learning to play. Learn accoustic guitar and electric guitar that has little distortion. Focus on learning chords, etc. This will make you a beter player when you venture into distortion and other modified sounds and playing styles, etc.

Eventually you'll want to get a Gibson. Unfortunately they are pricey.

# 5 03-12-2002 , 09:19 AM
Kevin

Originally posted by Jamesh
Eventually you'll want to get a Gibson. Unfortunately they are pricey.

Eventually you will want to get your very own "custom made" one...like me user added image

# 6 03-12-2002 , 09:50 AM
I have one custom made (read ruined), the Ibanez RG-something (pic on the sm gang thread) and a Morris acoustic (this was my first one). I live in a flat and play just for a hobby so I don't need an amp. I have the Line 6 POD 2.0 though + some misc effects...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 03-12-2002 , 10:04 AM
Subscriber
I own (haha right, like it is worth something) a... let me see... Samick SW115ets, "ordinary" steel string guitar bought for 1400 NOK. It is nice, but I have gotten bored with the sound of it. But maybe it's just me, cause... when others play it, it's like a relevation and I just look dumbfounded as the guitar sound quite good.

I enjoy finger picking (?) but aren't that disciplined at keeping the rythm through out the whole song.

Suzanne Vega rules user added image, her songs are amazingly simple (well, some are) and they sound great I think.

Favourite songs: Columbus, The queen and the soldier, Harbour.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 8 03-12-2002 , 02:02 PM
Subscriber
oooh interesting
what about a ibanez gax75? gd choice?

is it possible to plug a guitar into a computer, hence leaving out buyin an amp and using the speakers as the amplifier?

- Simon

# 9 03-12-2002 , 02:57 PM
Well you'd need some sort of preamp to boost the signal. The amp modelers that I mentioned earlier will do that as will some of those multi effects units from companies like digitech. That's the point...they bypass speakers and emulate allowing you to plug in direct. The downside is that, there's still no comparison really to playing through an amp. Realistically, though, if you're on a budget...$300 is pretty tight. An ibanez, a small practice amp, and a boss ds-1 for distortion if you need it. That'd be fine starter setup. If you're into metal, you're not going to get the gain you want out of the mexican fender guitars (the cheapest ones)....well, maybe the tele. :p Your best bet is to go into a music store and just play some ibanez' in your price range if that's brand you want to go with.

Just a tip: Distortion is nice but practice cleanly so you can hear what you're doing.

# 10 03-12-2002 , 06:25 PM
Subscriber
ok, one question, how do you even pronounce ibanez??? user added image

anyway, which ibanez model? cos there are so many!

- Simon

# 11 03-12-2002 , 07:21 PM
EYE-buh-nez. I'm sure any of them would be fine. There will be differences in pickup configurations (2 humbucker and 1 single coil combination is nice), number of frets (22 or 24), types of wood for the body, neck, and fingerboard, etc.....it's really just a matter of preference. Go to a music store and try a couple out....that'd be my suggestion.

# 12 03-12-2002 , 07:39 PM
Subscriber
aight, thx for that user added image
doubt ill find any within my price range, but worth a try

- Simon

# 13 03-12-2002 , 07:47 PM
I don't like them much but Fender has a Squire package that includes one geetar, one amp, cables, picks, and tunner. It's under $350 I think. You can't go wrong with Gibson. The price might be a little steep especially if you're starting out though. If you're just starting out, a geetar will under $300 isn't bad. Once you do get going though, you will want something better. Pawn shops are a great place to find deals.

the day we stop thinking is the day we start sinking
# 14 03-12-2002 , 08:08 PM
Subscriber
is it better to buy a cheap guitar to start? cos some ppl tell me its better to have a gd guitar first

- Simon

# 15 03-12-2002 , 08:22 PM
It depends how into it you are and if you're going to stick with it. I started out on a gibson SG copy from Sears in 1981 and played constantly. A few years later I got a used gibson les paul. Then a Yamaha SBG3000, then my Les Paul got stolen and I sold the yamaha and bought a friend's ibanez which I still have today, though customized a little. If you just want something to pluck on now and then, get something cheap. If you want to make an investment in playing, then get something better.