Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-07-2007 , 07:57 PM

How to combine my finished model?

Hello. I have just finished my model. It consists of multiple polys and a few nurbs. I set up a skeleton and did some basic arm and leg animation, but when I go to select the whole thing and try to move it as one object, it comes apart and doesnt move as one. I have tried selecting each piece in the outliner, I have tried to group it, but that still doesnt let the object stay together. I need to do some animation where this object looks like its walking. My pivot points for each object are different places as well, could this be the problem?

edit: the model no longer contains nurbs. I changed everything over to polys and it still isnt working... hmmmm

# 2 23-07-2007 , 02:17 AM
When u select all objects and move them all together, they will move in their own 'object space'. U can choose the 'world space' pressing 'w' and LMB. This does not work for scale and rotate because the 'w' is also s shortcut/hotkey for translate, so it will jump back in translate mode every time u change the orientation space.
Does anybody know how to change the orientation space for scale and rotate?
It's a shortcut/hotkey and therefor should be somewhere in the menus too. But I'm not able to find it.

Other solutions would be to group them and move the group. U could also use Mesh>Combine to make it a single object.
But for a robot-like character, you'd typically put them in hierarchy with the joints (parent the handmesh under the hand-joint, arm-mesh under the arm-joint,etc). For human-like characters, u'd 'bind' the joint-skeleton to the mesh.

Last edited by Eelco; 23-07-2007 at 02:21 AM.