Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 03-05-2011 , 04:46 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Original photo is not required. Interpretations are allowed it could be a stylized version of what you remember as your favorite toy.

-But it has to look like a toy right? ( I mean shading wise)
-So it has to stay in the real? ( no aliens kicking earth around ...)

This challenge is about the model. It must be textured and lit but the environment it's in will not count in the judging.
A turntable of the finished model is also encouraged but not required.
Think something like this.

-So basically toy refers to toy as in the model not the topic/keyword ,so you can make a lego castle, but not a baby sitting in the middle of a city playing with skyscrapers as if it were his boxes to play with?

Again sorry for being a pain, but better safe than sorry

# 17 03-05-2011 , 06:06 PM
SM Tea Boy

Can I model a plastercine model that I made? I want to model 'plastercine' but just modelling a block of it would be a bit boring.

Yes this would be fine interesting take on the challenge actually user added image

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 18 03-05-2011 , 06:13 PM
SM Tea Boy

-But it has to look like a toy right? ( I mean shading wise)
-So it has to stay in the real? ( no aliens kicking earth around ...)

Has to be a real toy yes. You could try for photorealism or go for a more toon shader style, we leave that to you.

-So basically toy refers to toy as in the model not the topic/keyword ,so you can make a lego castle, but not a baby sitting in the middle of a city playing with skyscrapers as if it were his boxes to play with?

A Lego castle would be fine if Lego is your favorite toy form childhood then just modeling a Lego brick would be pretty boring user added image

And yes it's an actual toy we want.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 19 03-05-2011 , 06:23 PM
SM Tea Boy

Second thoughts on entering... 2 months is too long for me and the prizes are too major... I know, sounds crazy. I'll cheer everyone on from the sidelines user added image.

It does sound crazy lol just join in at the end of month 1 user added image there is no start date

Dave user added image

# 20 03-05-2011 , 06:38 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
stwert get in there mate

Jay

# 21 03-05-2011 , 06:44 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

That's a cool idea elephantinc... I think it would hinge on getting the shader just right.

That's the fun. I want to work on my rendering.
I'm in then.

# 22 03-05-2011 , 06:45 PM
EduSciVis-er
Haha... if inspiration hits, maybe I'll put together an entry. When I'm in a challenge, I tend to put all the other projects and tutorials and things on hold, which I want to get working on at some point user added image
So dedicating 2 whole months to a single project is a lot. I know I don't have to, but I know my tendencies pretty well, a) I'm competitive, b) bigger prizes, more pressure, c) I prefer doing it for fun and learning d) if I get bogged down with a project, I tend to procrastinate rather than switch projects or push through...
Okay, enough life story and psychoanalysis... if inspiration hits, I'll maybe submit an entry. user added image

# 23 03-05-2011 , 06:50 PM
Unser Joker
I'm in to - I really like the idea of modeling a toy - really great.
And with this prices there will be a lot of entries - this could be real fun :-).
---Peace---

Mein Blog : https://eyegrafix.blogspot.com/
# 24 03-05-2011 , 10:52 PM
Lifetime Member
I will see how I go...as a bush baby my toy was a stick...LOL...now thats a good model

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 25 03-05-2011 , 10:55 PM
Subscriber
you should do a plush kangaroo and i'll do the wooden buzzy bee :p

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 26 03-05-2011 , 11:10 PM
Lifetime Member
bahahahah chirone...thats a good idea....sadly the only roo's I had as a kid in the bush...were on the BBQ...he he he he

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 27 04-05-2011 , 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Did a blog post about this new challenge and the previous one user added image. Also I'm asking, RockyMills, Tweety, and Stwert if I can add their images in the post instead of just links to the forum. Hopefully they see this.

- Genny
# 28 04-05-2011 , 01:09 AM
EduSciVis-er
# 29 04-05-2011 , 01:03 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ahh pity Im not allowed to enter this is a great challenge. I would have modelled my old thunderbird 2 die-cast toy by dinky toys, complete with plastic Thunderbird 4!!

Jay

# 30 04-05-2011 , 01:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Thunderbirds...ssssssswwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt tttttttttt

bullet1968