Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-04-2004 , 10:59 PM

Office Scene

Hey everyone....This is my office scene that I am still working on...I still have to do lighting and texturing...This is just a test render..C & C are always welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-04-2004 , 12:21 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looks good. user added image

# 3 20-04-2004 , 01:27 AM
Hey, I like your scene, looks good.

Keep up the good work user added image

# 4 20-04-2004 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
omg thats orgasmic

I love the warcraft III poster user added image

# 5 20-04-2004 , 03:07 AM
Simply Maya OG
Wow. The "Nice Work!" guy CAN use Maya :p. Nice stuff man. Starcraft is better user added image

- Hybrid
# 6 20-04-2004 , 03:24 AM
What did you render with?

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 7 20-04-2004 , 04:00 AM
Hey everyone thank you all for your comments! Much appreciated!

I-Iybrid....yeah starcraft is better, but I think warcrafts artwork is better..Thanx for the comment dude..

Russell.....I used Mental Ray for the render.

-------------------------------------------
# 8 20-04-2004 , 03:44 PM
I kinda figured. user added image How long were your render times? What were your settings, if I may enquire? user added image It looks awesome I must say! :speechles

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 9 20-04-2004 , 04:20 PM
Very Nice !!

# 10 20-04-2004 , 06:16 PM
I think it looks great, but I have one concern. The LCD monitors are mounted on the wall very high above the desk, it seems like you would always be looking up at them, that can't be good for the neck. Is this your actual office?

# 11 20-04-2004 , 09:40 PM
Hey..Thanx again for your comments!!

Russell....The scene takes about 2-3 minutes to render...cause it's just a test render. These were the settings i used..
Final Gather Rays:100...min:0.800..max:1...Sampling quality..max samples 2..ticked jitter and used the gauss filter. I used three lights..and the main light is casting shadow map shadows...That's it in a nutshell.....Thanx for the comment!!

Contrast....No it isin't my actual office, but could be someday...Thanx for the advice i think i will lower the monitors...Thanx for your comment!!

# 12 23-04-2004 , 01:38 AM
Mainline, just a test render? Wow! It STILL looks awesome! Could one use the test render setting and get away with it in their work? Is it really that noticeable? I tried out your settings (could you please resend them... I may have gotten a little confused with them... just want to get it right) and on a single hand model I'm working on, it was impressive. BTW, what if you have more than one light? I'm using all kinds of lights and I'm not sure how to set them in accordance to MR or the rest of the scene. Make sense?

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 13 23-04-2004 , 07:15 PM
Hey Russell. I am sure you could get away with it in your final work. I would just pump up the Final Gather Rays setting to about 500+, that would take away all the jagged lines and make the shadows alot smoother. You can have as many lights in the scene as you want to, the only thing that you have to keep in mind is that the light's intensity should not be too high, because Final Gather automatically makes your scene brighter.

I have attached an image of the Mray settings for you to see.

MainlineX

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 26-04-2004 , 03:59 AM
I've tried those settings using MR in a scene from the short I'm working on but everytime I start it up, Maya crashes. I have 512 MB of RAM, an AMD Athlon 2500+ CPU and a 128 MB graphics card (Radeon 9200 SE). Any idea what might be causing this? Thanks, dude! user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 15 26-04-2004 , 09:56 PM
I am afraid I can't help you out on that one. Whenever I get problems like that I usually reinstall or backup my stuff and format.