Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-03-2003 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber

How do I fix unwanted deformations when bending fingers?

Image 1: The hand I designed using Subdivisions with the help of the free hand tutorial here at SM. Thanks a lot for that tut Kevin!
Image 2: In green is the nurbs sphere I used for an influence object for the index finger.
Image 3: The index finger when it is bent. The influence object was parented to one of the joints. The unwanted deformation is still present.
Image 4: I tried adding two more influence spheres to the index finger thinking it would help.
Image 5: I still get the same results as in image 3 and as seen in image 5, the influence objects also have an effect on the middle finger. They are pulling it down slightly.

Question: What is a good set-up for influence objects in fingers and what should the drop-off and Nurbs sample values be? Do weights have anything to do with this problem? If so, what exactly do I need to do? Any tutorials or information would be greatly appreciated.

# 2 24-03-2003 , 12:13 PM
Hi,

Have you done any weight painting?
and
Did you bind the skeleton to the subD proxy (whatever the poly cage is called)?

also,

You could try using blendshape and set driven key on the influences to automate the influence compensation?

Hope this makes sense.

re Jim

Mayan elder......only in years.....
# 3 24-03-2003 , 06:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
strange, I've never had a problem with the fingers when using smooth bind... they usually bind without any problems. Could be the settings I use.

Good luck!

# 4 29-03-2003 , 07:26 AM
:banana:

maybe the settings in your smooth bind is Complete Skeleton Skeleton and not the option Selected Joints, if you did the first option the root joint will also influence the skin, if you do the second option you must select all the joints one by one then Smooth Bind it.

hope it helps.

user added image

------------------------------------------------
our decisions-not the conditions of our lives
determine our destiny.
# 5 09-04-2003 , 11:49 PM
Subscriber
and btw,, why dont you add an ik handle?? (just wondering)

# 6 10-04-2003 , 12:35 AM
First of all, sorry for hijacking your thread Darkware, but there not point starting a new one.

I was using a Locator for on of the fingers and then i selected the joint [see pic] and rotated it part of the hand stayed behind while the rest moved with the skeleton.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem as your Darkware, but it look similar.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 7 10-04-2003 , 12:44 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looks like you need to adjust weights

# 8 10-04-2003 , 02:03 AM
Subscriber
tariqrf: I don't have any IK handles because the movement is done through set driven key commands.

z1mmnd14: I think Mike is right about the weights thing. We both need to adjust them somehow.

Thanks for the replies guys.