Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 25-02-2004 , 02:14 AM

creating an iris

Hi,
I don't think this is exactly a newbie question, but I don't know if I should put this under modeling, animation or dinamics, because it's a bit of all and at the same time none.
Here is the thing. I want to create an iris (like the one in a photo camera). I remmember there used to be a tutorial for that at www.aliaswavefront.com, but at that time I didn't needed it, and now that they changed to www.alias.com the link is down and their search engine doesn't come up with anything.
I tried looking on the web for one (and even here) but all I could find were broken links to that same tutorial that I already mentioned.

So, does anyone know where the tutorial moved? or another tutorial on the same subject? or maybe someone can reply to this thread with some relatively detailed instructions about how to do it :p

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 2 25-02-2004 , 02:17 AM
Try here

Although not sure if you wanted a model tutorial for making the iris itself, or creating the texture in photoshop .. I presume model but just in case there's that one user added image

Last edited by flib; 25-02-2004 at 02:19 AM.
# 3 25-02-2004 , 04:01 AM
I mean a iris diaphragm, the thing in the lens of a camera that open and closes, or that thing covering the stargate if you want (I noticed someone here did that one before, unfortunatly he didn't leave instructions user added image ) and not an eye's iris.

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

# 4 25-02-2004 , 04:03 AM
like this:

Attached Images

# 5 25-02-2004 , 05:19 AM
Subscriber
I did one not so long ago. I've attached my Maya 5 scene file so you can see how i did it. Very simple really.

Attached Files
File Type: mb hatch.mb (91.6 KB, 355 views)
# 6 25-02-2004 , 01:55 PM
Here's a|w's iris tut from the old site (pdf format).

Attached Files
File Type: zip iris.zip (135.0 KB, 463 views)

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 7 26-02-2004 , 04:22 AM

Thanks.

Thanks alot guys!!! :tup:

Here is my iris animated. This is suposed to be the eye for the robot that I'm making for the jan/feb challenge.... I'm such a procrastinator :ermm: (Will I finish in time? tum tum tum user added imagearanoid: )

Attached Images