Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-08-2006 , 03:48 PM

Assigning a material please help

i am new to maya so sorry if this is a dumb question.

i have a cube that i want to assign a material to but i only want it on the front and back sides how do i do this???
thanks for your help

Dave user added image

# 2 21-08-2006 , 03:56 PM
Select the faces, backclick and select 'assign new material', then pick a material from the list.

user added image

# 3 21-08-2006 , 04:15 PM
thanks,

ok what if i have a material assigned to all 6 sides, but want to remove it from all the sides except the front and back. so when it renders you only see the two sides and the others are transparent???

# 4 21-08-2006 , 05:15 PM
all objects come with a pre assigned material - 'lambert 1'.

Just select the faces that you want to be transparent, assign a material and increase the material's transparency via the slider in the attribute section. Then pick the other front and back faces and assign a new material and adjust the attributes to your liking.

Texturing is pretty complicated - I am just giving you an easy way to achieve what you are trying to do - the best thing to do is find a good texturing tutorial - this one is pretty good and should explain the basics.

https://www.ramyhanna.com/texturing/p...utorial01.html

Good luck! user added image

# 5 21-08-2006 , 06:49 PM
Thanks So Much

user added image