Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-02-2009 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber

perforated tube

Hi all,

I'm trying to model a cylinder with rectangle openings in it. I'd like the openings to have rounded corners and have some depth... I read the threads on making holes in polys, but it didn't quite help... I tried just deleting some faes and the result was clunky. I'm attaching a sketch that shows how I'd like it to look, please bear with me, I'm not quite use to sketch with my tablet yet...

Attached Images
# 2 27-02-2009 , 11:33 PM
well, you can try this.

Create a cube the size of the hole you want, then bevel the edges (maybe 5 to 7 will be fine, depending on how much bevel you want),

Create a cylinder to your preference

then put the cube in the area where you want the hole to be.

Boolean it using Difference

# 3 02-03-2009 , 12:29 AM
You could also do it with nurbs, do a cylinder, then using the curve tool just create a rectangle (don't forget to close the curve at open/close curve) . Now you have to go to "edit nurbs -> project curves on surfaces", do it in the view port you created the rectangle, so it will project the rectangle by the view you are look, you can change in the settings...

Now all you've got to do is trim surfaces, select the cylinder part you want to keep and press enter.

Now convert your nurbs cylinder to poly.