Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-03-2009 , 01:52 AM

First ever 3D project, tell me what you think

Ok so I just thought I'd post my first ever 3D animation project and get some feedback from you guys in the know.

This was a university assignment to create a 3 minute film showcasing a 3D environment. I chose a scary mansion type setting. I'm not completely happy with the result given that I scaled the interior of the building wrong in comparison to the exterior.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Etaa6RJjE

Please voice your opinions and give me any feedback you can. I'd very much appreciate it.

Complete newbie to all things 3D...
# 2 25-03-2009 , 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
The overall lighting could use a little work, plus there are no shadows. The moon just seems like a low poly sphere sitting in the back of the house, some shader tweaks to make it look illuminated would help, this will end being tied in with the lighting as you'll most likely have the night lights not affect it. There was a wee bit of texture stretching on the 1st floor interior walls (not sure about that sky texture either) and the camera is magically passing through objects >< Since you're new to 3D, I'd have to say that this isn't bad at all but just though I'd mention a few things that didn't sell the scene.
:blush:

- Genny
# 3 25-03-2009 , 08:15 PM
Thanks. These should be issues I'll address in my next project. Do you know any good tutorials for lighting?

Complete newbie to all things 3D...
# 4 26-03-2009 , 01:08 AM
Super Moderator
I can't think of any off the top of my head, I know Digital Tutors did some stuff on lighting, you could even check out Jeremy Birn's lighting challenge over at CGTalk.

- Genny