Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 24-06-2009 , 02:48 AM
Almost done with the shaping of the head now, going to start doing the detailing, and texturing next, then get back to the suit. Won't be doing his body as it'd be covered by the suit anyway, but will probably do the top of some sort of clothing, jump suit type thing that he wears.

Attached Images
# 32 24-06-2009 , 09:28 PM
Bit of painting done to the head in Z, bit more to do and then take it back into Maya, may still do some more detailing as well.
Not sure if this'll be what I use for the final skin, I like to do several versions and pick the best, have done two so far.

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 24-06-2009 , 11:49 PM
Got it back into Maya, and it's looking alright, going to take it back into Zbrush to do a bit of detailing now I think, maybe a bit more painting ,see about creating some normal/displacement maps, and then get back to the suit.

Attached Images
# 34 24-06-2009 , 11:51 PM
Subscriber
also do a bit of work on the ear too user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 35 24-06-2009 , 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
also do a bit of work on the ear too user added image

Not doing any more to the ears as the helmet part of the suit covers them at the sides, that's why I didn't do them detailed from the start, but now I'm getting into modeling people I'll make sure the next one has proper ears...lol

Though saying that, the next model I want to do is a toon one, so the ears may not end up being that detailed on that one either!

Last edited by Dango77; 24-06-2009 at 11:56 PM.
# 36 25-06-2009 , 03:22 AM
The Nurb Herd
i'm not sure what you actually did in zbrush but this is looking pretty good. I know you meant it to be comic book style, but for me, I would say that graphic novel people are generally proportioned normally and have a more realistic appearance.

I would suggest that if you are getting into organic modeling you should get some reference images and work from them. its best to use photo reference to correctly model the proportions and shape.

# 37 25-06-2009 , 03:32 AM
Thanks Hammer!

All I've done in Z was shaping, and poly painting the texture, am working on some detailing now. Although it won't really be seen in the final image as he's going to be half hidden in the suit, under a helmet with a glass face visor type of thing.

I agree with what you're saying about the look, but he's meant to be a bit distorted anyway as he's a symbiotic being and has become part of the plant life and the jungle, he's going to change even more soon! But in future I will use references and work on my proportions. Especially if it's meant to be an average human. I think as it's my first attempt I was a bit eager to jump in there and get sculpting!

But I'm pretty pleased with it so far, hopefully it'll look alright in the end.

# 38 25-06-2009 , 07:43 AM
Hi Dango, Personally I would do all the modeling first then texture, any changes in the model may result in the texture you've made not being correct.

I would also have a think about changing the colours form just plin skin to something a bit greener to show the plant side, also large veins on him like those "creaper" plants amy also look pretty cool

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 39 25-06-2009 , 07:58 AM
Hey Steve, yeah, had thought about that (the not changing the model after texturing) I think the only extra bits I'm doing is small detail, like skin pores, veins etc, no big changes now.

And you read my mind to do with the colour and veins.... lol!

Was thinking of doing veins coming up from inside his suit, up into his temple area and his neck below his jaw line, green with darker smaller arteries within them, something like that anyway. Have to see how it looks as I do it, trying not to spend too much time on his head as the suit is the largest part of the image, and his head is quite covered by the helmet, but Z is just so fun.....

Last edited by Dango77; 25-06-2009 at 08:00 AM.
# 40 29-06-2009 , 01:35 AM
Not done too much over the weekend, but managed to get a good start on the helmet and visor of the suit, will be getting back to it during the week and hopefully make a bit of progress.

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 29-06-2009 , 09:26 AM
The Nurb Herd
its coming along... i have to say tho i'm still not a fan of your "detailing" it looks to me like most of it is just extrude, push in or pull out and then scale. it was the same for your spaceship. I think you need to use some other reference rather than just winging it.

also, you have a lot of wasted geometry.

# 42 29-06-2009 , 09:28 AM
That's fair enough Hammer, although the only pushed and pulled geometry in the last post are the shoulder supports, and they're hidden under the suit, everything else (on the suit) in previous posts won't be seen in the final image, and "winging it" isn't a word I would've used....

# 43 29-06-2009 , 09:36 AM
The Nurb Herd
"winging it" is two words user added image

fair enough it might not be the best phrase to use but i haven't seen any concept work so i thought you were just winging it.
I can imagine what your final piece will look like, but what i imagine and what you do might be completely different.

# 44 29-06-2009 , 09:41 AM
Hahaha, thought you might say that, (dammit, should've used plural....)

I didn't do any conceptual work, but in a project like this I don't need to, once it's in my mind I pretty much have it there as if it's on paper. And as it's not required to show concepts, I prefer not to waste time drawing it out when I don't need to.

I hope the end result does surprise you!

I'll certainly do my best whatever the case.

# 45 29-06-2009 , 06:57 PM
Think its looking ok tbh, the mesh maybe a tad heavy but its a nice bridge between a base and a smoothed, also with the geo there I'm sure theres room to bring out any details if needed.

Pretty damm good for a first orgainc though!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle