Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 02-01-2010 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
Good evening everyone! Well almost 5pm here and time for a glass of wine and relax. Hope that your New Years Day was a good one and many more to come!!

Wanted to post an update to the project. Have a bit done to the back now. I am checking all of the geometry and trying to keep it as thrifty as I can. I need to make new UV's on the things I have modeled. But, that is what I enjoy!

I will start getting some more of the littler paraphernalia that goes around the engines (Think those are exhaust) back in the scene. That may take a few days as some of it wasn't a lot of fun the first time to UV. But, I have had practice and maybe it will be easier this time. :-)

Have a good evening!!

Here is a link to the original render (1200X900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...n1EndofDay.png

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 17 02-01-2010 , 01:15 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
is this your final shading/texture? because I don't think it looks like metal i would aim for a silvery/golden look, and I thought you would get rid of that background? user added image
modeling looks good though

# 18 02-01-2010 , 01:32 AM
Glad to see you're getting back onto the Falcon Tom, I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Hope you had a good new years eve etc!

# 19 02-01-2010 , 11:16 AM
Subscriber
Good morning!!

Mastone, yes that is pretty close to the texture that I will use. You think a silver metal would suite the Falcon better? I have to disagree with you on that. I know my choice of texture may not be ideal, but it will be what I think I will use. I will seriously consider your thoughts on the texture. And the picture once again? I really am sorry that you don't like it. But I think it will be in there till the texture is done and I model a landing bay or something. It pleases me much that you are following my project and that you like my modeling!!

Gavin, thank you for coming by and looking at my project. We had such fun doing this, last year now!! ;-) I have been watching your progress and really like what you have done and learned. I can bet that you are really enjoying yourself. When in High School in the 60's I never thought I would see 2000, and now it is 2010. Who would have thought. ;-)

Thank you guys for your comments!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 20 06-01-2010 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
Good afternoon!! First off I need to apologize to Mastone about the texture. He was right and in the render the texture looked bad. It was not so much the texture as that I had not turned on the 2 lights in the scene and the HDR was the only thing illuminating the scene. I have the lights on in this render and hope that the texture is a little more convincing. Also, I have dropped the background picture. Sorry for being so bull headed about it.

Well, got all of the stuff I had modeled for the competition back in place on the rear. I know a lot more could, and maybe should, be modeled for there. But I hope what I have is interesting.

Here is a shot of just around the engines. I will also post a pic of the rear with the rest of the ship so you can see how they blend.

Link to original render 1200X900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...eOrgRender.png

Hope all of you have a very nice evening!!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 21 06-01-2010 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails

# 22 06-01-2010 , 11:35 PM
Excellent!

Really looking good Tom, I like the amount of detail that it's got so far!
The back is looking loads better, not that it looked bad before, lol.

And as for the texture, the colour still does a little too much red in it, but I'm sure you'll get that side of it tweaked at some point.

I look forward to seeing more progress!

# 23 07-01-2010 , 01:53 AM
Subscriber
Dango, many thanks for looking at my project and leaving such nice comments!! With my lack of color perception I did not see the red you mention. But I will work on that and gives me a clue as to what it needs. I was so very embarrassed at the job of texturing I had done in the competition. I just had hope to make sort of effort to at least make it better. And if you see it as becoming better, then I am very pleased. Thank you Gavin!!

# 24 07-01-2010 , 05:18 AM
Is the plating many boxes pushed into the surface or all extruded out of a single surface?

If they are extruded and smoothed I must complement you on managing to keep the edges and corners tight without introducing creases and unwanted corners all over the model.

The model looks great to me. The small detailing is exquisite!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 25 07-01-2010 , 12:19 PM
Subscriber
Ctbram, the deck plating are all made as separate pieces that are stacked in rows (if I remember correctly 397 of them). I felt it would make it much easier to texture that way and I could UV each one seperately. The are all smoothed, but not extruded when created. I actually took the inner skin and duplicated it and started cutting it up to make the plates. I do hope that made some sense. The border edges for the plating was an interesting excersice. Yes, when you run too many border edges together and too close creasing and distortion can be a real problem.

Ctbram, you are very kind and I am glad that you like what I have done! Thank you!!

# 26 07-01-2010 , 12:36 PM
Subscriber
Ctbram, I thought if I showed you one of the plates and the solution I came up with to cut down on the distortion of the edges. It worked very well on keeping down the creasing and to help keep down the poly count some.

Attached Thumbnails

# 27 07-01-2010 , 01:23 PM
The thin red line
Hi oldhippie_tom
your texture reminds me of the guys who make real models they dry brush so you can see the detail, looking good..........dave

# 28 07-01-2010 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber
Dave, I thank you very much. I have struggled with it more than I will admit. From being green to now a red hue. But I want to learn it very badly. I appreciate your comments and viewing my project! And I wish you a nice day!!!

# 29 07-01-2010 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber
Tom, could you re-post a screen of the smoothed without wire? just curious..

on the texture, my advice, if you wanted to make it look more like the real old hag....keep what you have it woudl be a very good bottom layer to bring out the detail as dave said...but build on top of it, the lighter color layers and the discolored plates that you find around the hull.

I woudl ask this...why so many plates, the ones for the real falcon were much larger would you consider this an armor upgrade for the old girl?....as i recall she didn't have nearly that amount of plates on her, nor did they overlap like roof tiles...Don't get me wrong, i think this looks good, just wondering why you are branching away from the origional, or if you meant to do so at all

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 30 07-01-2010 , 07:50 PM
Ah, very good strategy on handling the corners.

A lot of my panel details on the stuff I do is made of separate geometry like this. I find the one difficulty I have is if I want to texture paint a continuous pattern across the pushed in objects and the underlying surface and make the edges meet.

I have not done much texturing so I have not come up with a strategy for handling this yet. However, I have come to a stage where I want to see more then just clay renders of my work so I am starting to learn painting with photoshop. I am going to start with some models that I can find lots of reference art for so that I don't have to come up with color schemes and can focus on painting techniques.

Once again, good job and thank you for the insight into the way you did the panels. I can add this to my bag of tricks.

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Rick

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 07-01-2010 at 10:56 PM.