Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 76 19-01-2010 , 07:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Looking good Tom! Like the lighting much better!

user added image

Jacques

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 77 19-01-2010 , 07:48 PM
Subscriber
Thank you Halfloaf!! I like it better also!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 78 25-01-2010 , 02:30 AM
Subscriber
Good evening everyone!! Hope that your weekend was good. I wanted to post an update of where I am at the moment. I have taken legendofzombi's suggestion about the color masking in the star field for the background, and I thank him. I think it has helped, but will wait for your thoughts.

Dave, I have changed the lighting on the Falcon, let me know what you think if you will.

I also have lightened the scene some and added some more things to the far wall. The plating on the Falcon that is on the right front Pylon (at least that is what I call them), as you are looking at the ship, dosen't seem to like the light like the rest of the ship. I will check into that. I have a few more things to add, and double check what is there. And soon I will wind this project down.

I Raise my glass of wine and toast you all and hope for you a good week!!! Cheers!! ;-)

Link to original render (1200X900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...inalRender.png

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 79 25-01-2010 , 05:13 PM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
your lighting is looking good, if I were to have one crit it would be the bottom lights against the wall looks to sharp compared with the others..........dave

# 80 26-01-2010 , 01:26 AM
Subscriber
Dave, thank you!! I have moved the light covers up some and the line seems to be a lot more soft like it should be. I hope it looks better, and I think it does. All of the lights are using the same file.

I may increase the light on the Falcon just a taste more and try to balance it some with the rest. Again Dave thank you for looking at my project and giving me your thoughts.

Have a good evening!!

# 81 26-01-2010 , 04:07 AM
Subscriber
Dave, at the risk of being a pest, I have posted a render I have just done and wanted to know, if you looked at my project, if the lights on the lower level are a little more convincing? I think all of them look better actually. But on the 3rd level at the back the transition still looks hard, I think is because that comes from the lights on the top. I will check on that.

It is late and I just was wondering what you thought.

Thanks!!

Render Link:\ (1200X900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ightUpdate.png

# 82 26-01-2010 , 10:29 AM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
I think I like the latest render, would it be possible to do a render between the to light settings.......dave

# 83 26-01-2010 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
Dave, I am glad that you liked it. I had not changed the settings on the lights, I just raised the light fixtures a little higher without moving the lights. But I can change some things, if I can get kind of an idea what your thoughts were. I can also change the light it is using to mimic, if that makes sense

Thank you for your patience and looking at my project!!

Last edited by oldhippie_tom; 26-01-2010 at 11:22 PM.
# 84 27-01-2010 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber
Dave, have studied on what you had ask. If I have thunk it out correctly, I have an idea. I am doing a render right now with the lights as they were. In the morning I will lower the fixtures about 50% of what I think they were and do another render. I believe that is what you had asked.

It is wine time and to study my render.

Wish for you all a very good evening!!

# 85 27-01-2010 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber

# 86 27-01-2010 , 05:13 PM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
I agree with you, the softer light looks better, verry cold over here at the moment Tom looking farward to the summer.................dave

# 87 30-01-2010 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber
Good day everyone!! I would like to post an update to my project. I think it will be the last update till I move it to Finished Work. I know there is a lot of stair stepping on the beam. I use Catmull-Rom for Antialiasing filter instead of Mitchell-Netravali and I do get stair stepping once in awile, but not so often that I don't prefer it better. Will try and fix that before the final.

I would like to thank everyone that has visited my project. I appreciate it more than you know. And this project has been fun!!

Hope that you all have a good weekend!!!

Dave, maybe we both can hope for an extended Springtime, huh? ;-)

Link to original render (1200X900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...eOrriginal.png

Attached Thumbnails

# 88 30-01-2010 , 08:13 PM
Acid44
looks good man, lotsa nice detail, texturing looks especially good for ituser added image

# 89 30-01-2010 , 11:17 PM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
I think you have decided to put this one to rest if you are happy with that then so am I, what next. I have looked farward to your update and hope there is more to come on a new project.........dave

# 90 31-01-2010 , 10:39 AM
Subscriber
Good morning guys!! Acid, I am glad that you like it! And I do appreciate the kind words about my project! It was a lot of fun!! Thanks!!

Dave, I wondered what I would do next as I watched the render I posted. Not quite sure, but I am anxious!! It makes me feel very pleased that you did enjoy following my project!! I enjoyed having your thoughts and suggestions!!