Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-04-2012 , 08:30 PM

Problem with model when switching to soft selection mode

*What's the problem?
*What happened when the problem occured?
*What were you doing when the problem arose?
*What are your system specs?
*What version of Maya are you using?

* I'm doing a human face (might not look so good yet but damn it it's the first time!)
The problem is, I've been modelling it in the normal mode (the mode when you press 1) (the hard modeling mode)
But when I tried to go into my soft modeling mode (3) I found many geometrical issues. I cannot explain the issues because of my poor english, so I made a picture showing you the problem

(ok ill try explain them)

* When the problem occured some of my points were all mashed together, and there were holes in my model, but there are only holes when im in my soft mode (when i press 3).

* I came across this problem before too, when I tried to model a head and i messed up. So i made a new model and i tried merging the vertexes together but it's kinda like 2 vertexes are combined as 1, but still not in a way and thats what's making the holes in my face.

* Dont understand the question

* Maya 2012

PICTURE:

user added image

Thanks

And also sorry for posting twice in short amount of time.

And also if i would start over this, what should i think of to avoid this?
I've been using the V key to merge vertexes

Last edited by Skalman; 23-04-2012 at 08:37 PM.
# 2 23-04-2012 , 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
The V key doesn't merge vertices, it just takes you into a mode where you can move and snap objects to a vertex or point, you'd have to weld the components together. Selecting the vertices, 'Edit Mesh > Merge' is one way to go about it.

- Genny
# 3 23-04-2012 , 08:50 PM
Ooooooooh thanks alot GeCT!
You just solved another of my problems!
I'm pretty new to maya so you might see me posting more topics in the problem section :p

Thanks once again, sir!