Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-04-2010 , 01:20 AM
Lifetime Member

Boolean TQ mystery

Hi guys,

I use the boolean tool quite a bit now BUT I have found it to be very sensitive to certain parameters of which I have Googled lots and learnt a bit.

I have attached the link to my vid, I am confused as to why a boolean will work without weird things on a split face but not a single face??? Any answers would be appreciated.

cheers bullet

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/NVEExport.wmv

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 24-04-2010 , 09:06 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
I think you should have pressed enter when you finished your first cut then restarted the tool on your next cut?...........dave

# 3 24-04-2010 , 09:11 PM
you should NEVER do a boolean difference on a face. Always do it on an edge. When you cut a hole in that top face, there were no edges to anchor the hole so the geo is messed up. First put an edge across that top face, then do a boolean. You should be fine then.

Good luck m8

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 25-04-2010 , 01:56 AM
Lifetime Member
That didnt work Dave.

Yeh Perfecto I found that out by accident. If you put a poly (anywhere) on the face and boolean on top of it the thing works. So what I do now is just that and BEFORE I delete the temp poly I then split all I need then get rid of the temp one. Software has a way of making life interesting!!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes