Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-06-2010 , 11:43 PM
Lifetime Member

3D and animated movies and patron costs

Well the missus took the kids to see Shrek 4th...what a bloody pocket draining experience for her!!!! Over $110 AUS for her and my 3 sons to see the film!!!!! no wonder people cant afford to go anymore.

I know it costs a lot and takes time for these films but jeez man..asking a man to work hard for a week or 3 to just take his kids out is bulldust.

On that note...we had an animated film day at home and they were great BUT when will we see an animated one for adults?? You know something dark and sinister..along the lines of the original ALIEN films or Predator or something.

I think its time we had some for us big kids...Toy Story, Shrek etc are all sweet but you can only watch so much...maybe one day..with a GOOD story line!!

So guys feel free how much it would cost you and clan/mates to go to the flicks?? Standard price (no specials) 1 drink and 1 popcorn and 3D extra price if invlolved (yes we paid I think $4 for the glasses..no refund!)

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 28-06-2010 , 02:09 AM
EduSciVis-er
For starters, shame on you for putting Shrek 4 and Toy Story in the same sentence. user added image
Saw Toy Story 3 in 3D today with my wife, fantastic film. Just under 30 bucks CA. Buying popcorn at the theatre... might as well pour some butter on your wallet and eat that. We brought in some licorice and pop from the grocery store - $4. user added image

As for adult animated films, I suppose Beowulf would be about that. And as for GOOD story lines... any of Pixars films has an excellent story. I tried to watch for technical details in TS3, but just ended up getting caught in the story. So you can't really equate an adult film with a good story, or a kids film with a poor story.

My two cents, or in movie dollars, my five bucks.

# 3 28-06-2010 , 02:23 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL mate...I will have to move to Canada!!! Anything to do with entertainment here isnt cheap.

TS3 and Shrek in the same sentence...AGAIN bahahahahaha from memory we arent allowed to take food in dude.

No I wasnt trying to compare kids and adults mate..I probably worded it incorrectly.....it was VERY early in the morning when I thought of it..LOL.

Beowulf wasnt that special IMO really...didnt like it too much. Now though Im getting into Maya, Im more looking for the bloody techniques,backgrounds,model shapes etc etc bbbaaaaahhh. Kinda takes the edge off LOL.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 28-06-2010 , 04:22 AM
3d movies cost us $7.00 each. We don't get popcorn or drinks and such..way too much money..not worth it. If people quit buying them at such rediculous prices, they would come down most likely (supply and demand)...but we all know that will never happen.

Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if they raised the price of movie tickets if they ever had to lower the price on their concession stands.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 28-06-2010 , 04:29 AM
Lifetime Member
Now Im confused..Canada or the USA to move to!!!

Yeh we havent been for yonks so she didnt realise until it was too late. Its something special though isnt it?? memories of the popcorn, drinks choc bombs etc..now Im not so sure.

Wish we still had drive-ins!!!! now they were good value and a blast as a kid.

bullet1968

# 6 28-06-2010 , 04:54 AM
EduSciVis-er
Wow, good deal for the states, especially since the canadian and us dollar are almost at parity (not quite anymore). $14 for a 3D movie here.

It should be noted that virtually all the movie ticket money goes to the studios... the theatre itself makes its money off the concession, hence the awful prices. So I don't think the supply and demand issue would work particularly well; in fact I think it's cause the studios are hurting more that the prices are going up.

# 7 28-06-2010 , 07:49 AM

Originally posted by stwert

It should be noted that virtually all the movie ticket money goes to the studios... the theatre itself makes its money off the concession, hence the awful prices. So I don't think the supply and demand issue would work particularly well; in fact I think it's cause the studios are hurting more that the prices are going up.

Thats pretty much spot on. The theatre's dont really make any money off the ticket price, its the popcorn, drinks etc tha tthey get there cash from with the huge mark ups.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 28-06-2010 , 01:31 PM
Good point stwert, that does make sense. My first thought when I read that was hmm....

Seems like as prices go up, less people go to the movies or they go much LESS often. So, if they watch less movies at the theaters, that means there is more competition for studio's to get their movies watched. So, if people watch less movies because of the prices, the studios will loose even more money which means they would raise prices again right? And if they raise prices, people will watch less movies. If people watch less movies, studios will again make less money and have to raise prices again, and on and on it goes.

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud...
What do you think?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 9 28-06-2010 , 04:51 PM
Personally I think that theres a hell of a lot more than just the movie to rake in the cash.

Toy stroy 3 is going to be a movie hit granted, but just think of all the other merchandise than the cinema, Blue Rays, DVD's, Toys, associated branding (such as on soft drinks, breakfast cereal etc) thats where the money comes in now.

Then again a good film (or a hit if you would) will still gross in the market and give a profit on the stubs.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle