Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-09-2015 , 01:13 PM

Maya Software doesn't render smooth edges

Hello everyone

I am pretty new to Maya and I wanted to start by making simple Minecraft models but I have a bit of a problem. My mental ray crashes every time I use it, so I have to stick to Maya Software.

When I want to smoothen the edges, I choose the object and press "3" on the keyboard -I don't know if this is the proper way to do it, but it works for me - but when I render it, the edges are sharp as original. This works with mental ray, I don't know why it doesn't.

I know it is probably something silly, but since I am new, I have no idea how to fix it

Thank you in advance! user added image

# 2 26-09-2015 , 03:17 PM
EduSciVis-er
Maya Software doesn't support smooth mesh preview (it's just a preview, really). You'll have to actually smooth the mesh if you want Software to render it smooth.

# 3 26-09-2015 , 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Also you may want to solve the whole Mental Ray crashing thing (unless you're planning on using a third party renderer) because it's much more powerful than the default Maya Software renderer. Does Mental Ray crash even if you make a simple polygon cube in a fresh scene and render? Check the crash logs.

- Genny
# 4 26-09-2015 , 08:15 PM

Also you may want to solve the whole Mental Ray crashing thing (unless you're planning on using a third party renderer) because it's much more powerful than the default Maya Software renderer. Does Mental Ray crash even if you make a simple polygon cube in a fresh scene and render? Check the crash logs.

If I make a new scene and add a cube, it works like a charm, but on other scenes it crashes.
This is what it says in Maya:

// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : failed during mental ray rendering: mental ray abort //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : output data type "rgba_h" not directly supported by image format jpg, conversion performed by mental ray //
// Error: *Fatal* (mental ray) : mental ray encountered a fatal error. The system may have become unstable. Please save the scene and exit Maya. //

And this is what it says in the output window:

IMG 0.3 10 MB warn 102002: type rgba_h not supported by iff format, using default type rgba
PHEN 0.4 25 MB fatal 051109: runtime exception 0xc0000005: access violation
PHEN 0.4 25 MB fatal 051109: runtime exception 0xc0000005: access violation

If you know why that is, I would be extremely thankful! user added image

Edit: I forgot to say that I tried resetting my preferences, but its the same story

# 5 26-09-2015 , 08:38 PM
EduSciVis-er

Last edited by stwert; 26-09-2015 at 08:41 PM.
# 6 26-09-2015 , 11:49 PM

Try these options: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...rendering.html

The output data type "rgba_h" warning is harmless.

The link which says "this article" doesn't work for me, but I assumed that it explained how to reset my preferences - I already did that but mental ray still crashes.

I tried logging in as another user with adminstrator rights - still crashes.

I cleaned my registry - still crashes.

I don't know what to do and I really want mental ray back. If you know something else which might help, please tell me.

# 7 27-09-2015 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
How about to redownload and reinstall the Mental Ray Package?

# 8 27-09-2015 , 11:44 AM

How about to redownload and reinstall the Mental Ray Package?

I reinstalled my whole Maya and still doesn't work user added image

# 9 27-09-2015 , 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Hmm might want to run a memory test then. If you can, try one of the scenes that usually crashes on another machine.

- Genny
# 10 03-10-2015 , 08:29 AM

Hmm might want to run a memory test then. If you can, try one of the scenes that usually crashes on another machine.

I kinda doubt that the problem is in my machine. I bought this PC 3 weeks ago. The specs are:
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.5GHz (Quad-Core)
Nvidia GTX 960 4GB (if this event matters)
1 TB HDD

# 11 03-10-2015 , 11:44 AM
EduSciVis-er
Even a new machine can have hardware problems. Probably worth checking.