Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-05-2006 , 05:22 PM
Subscriber

attach surface problem

hey, I'm trying my luck with nurbs at the moment. The problem I have is that I cannot attach my surfaces. I remember that I did this before with some lofted surfaces but everytime I try attach the command line prompts

// Warning: attachSurface1 (Attach Surface Node): cannot attach a trimmed surface. //

I did switch my history off for the attach operation. I'll just brifly describe what I did maybe the problem is somewhere within my history.

I detached my sphere, created a cylinder with a cap only on top, tucked them into each other, used bolean union to cut a hole in my sphere, finaly did a surface fillet to ge a smooth transition.
any ideas?

thanks for help in advance

Attached Images
# 2 23-05-2006 , 05:23 PM
Subscriber
and another one so you can see a bit better what's going on

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 23-05-2006 , 05:34 PM
If you want to attach NURBs surfaces, understand that both the surfaces should have the same amount of U's and V's going in the correct direction (or have the same ratio of U's and V's) Use rebuild nurb surfaces to correct that under "Edit Nurbs" for each of the surface.

You can also attach NURBs surfaces by using the stitch tool. This tool doesn't require that you have the same UVs going in the correction direction of both surfaces, but it may be wise to do so, just as if you were going to attatch them using "attach surfaces" under 'Edit Nurbs"

To use the stitch tool, > Edit Nurbs > stitch > there are 3 options to choose >

if you are just stictch one edge to another, use "stich edge tool"
If stitching more than one surface, use "global stitch"

after stitching the surfaces, move one surface and see what happens.

mess around with them to understand them better.

(Note: if you delete thir history after stiching, they become sepearated sufaces again, try deleting their history and then moving them to see what happens)

not sure if this is what you wanted though...

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 4 23-05-2006 , 05:39 PM
oh one more thing, if you are attaching trim Nurb surfaces, you may want to do this.

select one surface > hold right click > trim edge > select one edge you want to get ready to attach with another edge > shift select the other surface > right click > trim edge > shift select one edge to attach with the previous selected edge > surfaces > loft\

hope that works

# 5 23-05-2006 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
wow thanks a lot:attn:

# 6 24-05-2006 , 06:16 PM
np, glad it helped ^^