Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 18-02-2009 , 01:29 PM

nCloth problem

I'm trying a fairly simple thing (so I thought); drop a sphere onto a piece of cloth, which is constraint at it's outer edges.. Butg the sphere doesn't seem to react to the cloth-object (I made the sphere a passive collider, and attached gravity to it...

example playblast:
www.phonk.nl/stuff/playblast.mp4

It seems so simple, can anyone help me?

thanx
Mike

'surf now, apocalypse later'
# 2 18-02-2009 , 01:45 PM
Senior Software Developer
You need to adjust the tolerance of the cloth settings at the moment the sphere is ripping through the fabric. Try adjusting the stiiffness and thinkness to get it right.

The scene look ok and the cloth is reacting well, but needs some tweeking to stop it ripping and react the the ball... Try reducing the mass of the sphere as another option.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 18-02-2009 , 01:46 PM
ahhhh...

no....

just watched it again... Its passing straight through....

there are settings for the tolerance of how far objects are away when the cloth reacts... in fact it will be on both, adjust those. I cant tell you where as I am at work atm...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 4 18-02-2009 , 02:45 PM
Thank you,
I lowered the mass of the sphere quite a bit...
And I tried playing around with thickness, ridgity, stretch resistance of the cloth, but still penetrates... Should I just go for rigid/softbodies?

Kinda weird; you can drop cloth on passive colliders, no problem. But dropping stuff on your cloth object causes problems.. I MUST be overlooking something..

If anyone got other suggestions.. Please

thnx

# 5 18-02-2009 , 03:09 PM
OK!
I made the sphere an nCloth object and increased the rigidity, and it works sweet! Seems that creating a passive collider and then attach gravity to it automatically makes it a regular rigidbody...

cheers

# 6 18-02-2009 , 05:29 PM
Thats wot it is...

Any object due to colide with cloth must be an nCloth collider and not a standard rigid body...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter