Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 18-05-2009 , 01:51 AM

how to import .max in maya 2008

is there any way to import .max to maya 2008?

i can import .3ds and have installed the bonus plug-in for maya 2008.
any other plug-ins used?

i have this terrain which is in .max format and we need to import it to maya 2008.

thanks a lot in advance!

# 2 18-05-2009 , 03:57 AM
Subscriber
xsi has something called crosswalk, which is used for converting between maya max and xsi files, it's free, and can be used in stand alone or as apart of xsi.

someone else might have a better solution

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 18-05-2009 , 07:40 AM
download " .obj exporter/importer " you may have it installed with maya ... i just have it ... so export your model to .obj then import the .obj into maya that's how i work with my Max Buddys :p

# 4 18-05-2009 , 08:05 AM
Subscriber
to clarify, i assumed either you don't have max or you don't know how to keep all the hard work in max

hence why i didn't suggest opening max and converting it to an obj file

they only carry basic info about the verticies (their position in 3D space, what they are connected to and their position in UV space)

unless i'm wrong they don't carry any info about any NURBS, bones, locators, weights, material attributes and what texture you have attached(although i might be wrong about the last one...)

i think the fbx file type can keep that info, so if you have max or someone has max tell them to export it as that if you have lots of info you want to keep

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 18-05-2009 , 08:37 AM
for geometry & uv's .obj
for all other things like you said .fbx !user added image

# 6 20-05-2009 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
I always use FBX.

I'm not sure what Iome is trying to do, but maybe someone can help me with a real similar issue. Autocad (say 2007) will export into a 3ds format. I use ACAD to get topography files for project sites like subdivisions, import it into 3DS and make a terrain, then import it into Maya and play with it.

I don't know how you would go about making a terrain in Maya. I know you could do a loft between two curves (your topography lines) but that is an extreme pain. 3ds had a terrain modeler that works.

My biggest problem is when you have a site that has say a wall or a curb...a vertical break. 3DS just makes a mess out of those. It doesn't retain the sharpness.

I know what I am doing in ACAD and Land Desktop. Does anyone else work with these issues and have any ideas?

Sorry Iome for jumping into your thread. I think we may be trying to do real similar things. If you're not an I just hijacked your thread, I give you permission to kick me!

# 7 24-05-2011 , 06:20 AM
Subscriber

is there any way to import .max to maya 2008?

i can import .3ds and have installed the bonus plug-in for maya 2008.
any other plug-ins used?

i have this terrain which is in .max format and we need to import it to maya 2008.

thanks a lot in advance!

Hi- did you ever resolve this issue? I have a 3ds file and max file that i need to import into maya 2008. I cannot open in max because I don't have the software.
Thanks!