Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 06-04-2005 , 07:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Surfer

This is great. I tell you if I was an employer looking for a good modeller to help on Outlaws, youd be one of the first on my list.

Most excellent dude!!

_J

# 47 12-04-2005 , 12:58 PM
Wow thanks Jango for that!

I give credit to Kurt actually bec I am just doing it the way that I learn't off his dvd's.

Well here is the next update with the modeling almost complete. I don't really like the fingers very much bec they look quite scary and they were fatter on my concept... BUT they have to fold back into the wrist so they can tuck away. They ended up kinda freaky looking. Suggestions anyone?
I might make the fingers less pointy or something.
I have begun the texturing which should be finished by week's end then rigging - Blah! It is gonna be tight!

Ok the picture is of the finished model with arms extended and arms folded away.

https://www.winteractiv.com/robo/robo_04.jpg

<font size=3 face=arial color=blue>S U R F E R M C D </font><br>
<font size=2 face=arial color=blue>www.winteractiv.com</font>
# 48 12-04-2005 , 01:15 PM
the fingers really let the model down. It's always possible that your initial idea doesn't work so don't be afraid to change it user added image I would make them more human like think of the way in which human hands work and the articulation of the joints. i feel it would work better than the current design user added image but that's just me. The rest of the model looks cool though

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 49 12-04-2005 , 10:24 PM
Hey Pure

I think you are right there. I feel that they just look wrong!

Oh well I guess that is why this is a W.I.P huh? I think I will try just 3 fingers instead of 4 and I will see if I can fatten them up as well as round off the edges.

I am into texturing now so these fingers will have to stay for a weee while while I lay out the UV's and stuff.
Good to get some advice now and then! Anyone else have any comments or suggestions??

I will try and upload another update tonight.

# 50 13-04-2005 , 07:36 AM
Hey Surfer

Yeah I agree with Pure Morning, the fingers are the let down here, but there is an answer!!! I was having a scan thru my Star Wars visual dictionary as theres tons of good photos, and theres a close up of Anakin Skywalkers metal arm from Attack of the clones, shows all the wiring, gears etc, could be a step in the right direction, I have found this kit model image of it too for you.

_J

Attached Thumbnails
# 51 14-04-2005 , 05:19 AM
Ahhh cool! Thanks Jango! That is pretty much what I needed - some good reference. You rock dude! I am now in panic mode bec I am having major texturing problems and everything is generally turning to custard. Ha ha!
Probably the late nights are effecting me and stopping the brain from thinking logically.
Man! How am I gonna finish modeling, rigging and animating this little fella I don't know!
Ok Gotta break it all down and do the little, easy things first. Another update coming soon.

# 52 18-04-2005 , 01:33 PM
hi ya!
I have been spending time laying out uv's and texturing hard out and I am half way thru the process. It is always tricky business getting the uv/textures right. I am holding off on the fingers for now!

Here is a close up of the main lense.

https://www.winteractiv.com/robo/lense.jpg

# 53 18-04-2005 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
looking good surfer, I was thinking more of a brighter colour, so that people walking by dont walk into it, just a thought.

Daeuser added image

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 54 18-04-2005 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
wow, what a boost of attraction!!

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 55 19-04-2005 , 08:04 PM
Subscriber
can u show a render of the whole bot with most of the parts shown as much as possible, jus curious of how it looks

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 56 19-04-2005 , 09:17 PM
metallicjet66
Kewl! I will see if I can post a picture that gives a better idea tonight after I attack it more with the texture Bomb! I still have not resolved the fingers so the model is currently without them. I will do them just before I rig it. Blah! Running outta time.

Dae Brotha!
Thanks for the heads up on the colors! I thought that bright colours would be a good idea but I changed my mind and decided to stick with the original grey - However I am going to put yellow stipes on the back half (like you get on road works or in danger zones etc.).
The reason I decided to not worry about the bright colors is because the machine will be moving very quickly. A bit like a humming bird (about the size of a match box) which would be difficult to stand on.
I have to get onto the animation so you can see what I mean I think.

# 57 20-04-2005 , 12:45 PM
Ok Here is a picture of the CRU from the top. The yellow and black "caution" markings on the back sort of reminded me of a bee. So I made up a logo for the the little robot and it is plastered on the side up by the lense just like an old ww2 bomber ha ha! Just imagine tho. It would be so small that no one would see the logo in real life. Nevermind, I was bored at work so I did it there in my spare time. Shhhhh don't tell the boss.

Texturing is about 80% complete now and once it is finished, I will also complete the fingers YAY!
Comments are most welcome!

https://www.winteractiv.com/robo/almostTXT.jpg

# 58 20-04-2005 , 01:26 PM
Subscriber
Surfer, I have to say, this is totally wicked...possibly one of the best competition threads I've seen on this site (along with Pony's and Metallicjet66's). I've been trying to think of something to crit, but its impossible!!! Nice work mate!

LisaG :p

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 59 20-04-2005 , 06:37 PM
Hey Surfer!!

Well, you want crit I'll give yah crit!! Its crap!!user added image

LOL no seriously it gets better and better each time I see it. Well done dude. Im just gonna browse the other contenders to make my mind up for the vote.

Just as well I didn't enter or you'd have no chance!! Woohoo!!

Rock on dude!!

_J

# 60 20-04-2005 , 09:13 PM
Hey Lisa! Well thankyou for such high acclaim. (I have always been a fan of Pony’s work.) I hope to see you in one of these challenges if you get the time.

Hey Jang’s! It’s crap huh? Ha ha! Yeah I thought so. Now here is a little snippet of truth for ya and don’t be offended… If you had entered the challenge, I would have decided to quietly watch from the side-line ha ha! I think I am going to have to take some tips of you about your skin texturing there at outlaws. Any chance of a tutorial??

Now after saying that I must say that I am bummed that Dae has dropped out (probably busy working on some A-grade game or movie). Has anyone heard from Caligraphics lately????

Working on finalising the texture maps and will start reworking the fingers today.