Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 26-11-2005 , 02:32 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Vlad

I always thought these orcs were skinny emaciated bastards?
Hope ya well, talk soon

Jay

# 17 26-11-2005 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
lol. depends on the orc user added image and the artist.

but i think the body lacks details compared to the face.
especially the arms. user added image
great model tho, im working on another orc model atm too.

# 18 27-11-2005 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
Cool, thanks for the crits, Vlad and Jay. I'll change up the UV layout if I can figure out how. I'm struggling with the chest detailing a bit at the moment, but hopefully I'll get something done by tomorrow - Been a bit busy. I'm going for a fairly skinny Orc creature. This would be a lot easier if I was allowed to use Zbrush for this...

Jay: Thanks, I usually don't put such a sloppy quad in the middle of the cheek, but this saves a lot of geometry from being modeled and fits nicely with the shape of the cheek I think.

vladimirjp: Anyway, definitely looking forward to your Orc, man.

# 19 27-11-2005 , 07:09 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
Very nice... but are you using a tutorial? It looks very similar to this orc from a tutorial:

Dude where did you get that tutorial from. I want it bad.:bow:

# 20 27-11-2005 , 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Funky Bunnies
Cool, thanks for the crits, Vlad and Jay. I'll change up the UV layout if I can figure out how. I'm struggling with the chest detailing a bit at the moment, but hopefully I'll get something done by tomorrow - Been a bit busy. I'm going for a fairly skinny Orc creature. This would be a lot easier if I was allowed to use Zbrush for this...

Jay: Thanks, I usually don't put such a sloppy quad in the middle of the cheek, but this saves a lot of geometry from being modeled and fits nicely with the shape of the cheek I think.

vladimirjp: Anyway, definitely looking forward to your Orc, man.

Considering your UserTitle's "Max User" -- was the UV map peltmapped? If not -- awesome attempt. Though -- I should mention that everything beyond the knees are off the plane -- and thats quite high poly for a game... pretty much anything but HL2 would die with that.

Last edited by Phopojijo; 27-11-2005 at 07:26 AM.
# 21 27-11-2005 , 10:21 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

You dont need to remodel anything IMO, its a case of just deleting the right set of edge into a single flow

Cheers

Jay

# 22 27-11-2005 , 04:13 PM
Subscriber
R-Tillery: Yeah, I was wondering the same thing!

Phopojijo: Thanks, but yes. I was hoping I could leave max out completely for this project, but I had to use its Peltmapping on the torso because I simply could not get it to look right in Maya. The rest was done in Maya. Also I didn't mean that this was for a game, I was just talking about the past experience I had with unwrapping user added image. I'll see if I can fix those legs

Jay: I'm not sure if I get what you mean, but keeping with the general flow of edgeloops, the most logical place to continue the two loops I cut out would be through the cheek and up the top of the nose. I decided that I didn't really need a whole lot more definition there. I'm not sure if that's what you mean haha and I think now that I may have been able to use those extra loops, but I don't think they are dreadfully significant. But I do need the loops for defining some of his creases in the cheeks. Thanks for the suggestions user added image I'll keep them in mind for next time.

# 23 27-11-2005 , 05:11 PM
i was wondering how you did the uv unwrap.its pretty hard for me to do that.and your uv look awsome.

# 24 27-11-2005 , 05:25 PM
Subscriber
mc-fleury: It took me quite a few hours to figure everything out, luckily I had Leo An explain to me how to do a lot of things in Maya's UV editor. It's basically just a series of cylindrical and planar mappings on different patches of faces and a lot of tweaking. The UV layout looks more complicated than it actually is because I applied a division or two of smoothing to round it out more accurately.

# 25 27-11-2005 , 05:45 PM
thanx a lot

# 26 27-11-2005 , 06:00 PM
Subscriber
This would make SM some cash. and have it a bundel from Model / Texture / Rig. user added image

# 27 02-12-2005 , 08:49 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
Very nice... but are you using a tutorial? It looks very similar to this orc from a tutorial:

Where can you get this orc tutorial at? It looks really cool.

# 28 02-12-2005 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber

Re: an Old Orc-ish fellow

Originally posted by Funky Bunnies
Greetings, I realize there are a bunch of orcs floating around right now for some reason, but I didn't realize it was so un-original until after I alreadystarted haha.

anyway, here's my last useful update to it:

Sub-D. I plan to switch back into polygons for the rest of the body... guess I was a bit too hasty to give sub-d a try.

The neck looks awesome, I've been trying to do a neck like that for my model but have been having troubles trying to get the line works working without having so much lines. Also stuck on doing the legs with all these muscles. Looking at the edges on your wireframe gave me some help. user added image

# 29 02-12-2005 , 09:03 PM
Subscriber
Glad to be of help, Anhslaught

Though if you're looking for wires that follow any sort of musculature for the legs, mine is certainly not one to look at haha though I'm not sure where one would find good leg wires.

And I agree about that tutorial, any chance you could tell us where that tutorial came from, DJbLAZER?

Anyway, I'm almost done with the bumpmap for the face and neck areas - I've been busy with other schoolwork. update soon.

# 30 02-12-2005 , 11:23 PM
Hey guys, I'll see if I can remember where it was....