Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 14-04-2006 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber
thank you jay for comments . I was wondering on pro's and cons. Also I am going to follow it and then add my touch but I am happy so far ...cause no duplicate edges or anything like that and wanted geometry to look good also ... so will post more pics after this weekend.

Last edited by mmoore5553; 14-04-2006 at 07:27 PM.
# 17 15-04-2006 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber
ran into another problem. i have tried over and over to use split poly tool to make an eye outline. Kurt video shows he can use split poly in middle and i tried it and I can only go to edges ?

first picture is kurts eye

Attached Images
# 18 15-04-2006 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber
now i try to make it and i can only get to the edges not like his in the middle ... Anyone know what I am doing wrong please let me know ..

Attached Images
# 19 15-04-2006 , 01:29 AM
Theres a setting in the split poly options that should be able to change your problem..

user added image

# 20 15-04-2006 , 01:33 AM
Subscriber
yeah i went into the settings and shut off snap to edge and magnet. Still same issue ...

# 21 15-04-2006 , 02:06 AM
Hmm it really beats me..

I havent worked much with polys lately so really ive got no clue.

:angery:

# 22 15-04-2006 , 02:08 AM
Subscriber
no problem ..hopefully i can figure this out . i did find this out ..I was able to do some of it ..but when i do it sometimes the dot is not there but if i end on edge it magically appears so i cant see it ..anyone seen this ? sometimes it happens and sometimes it dont ..i pick split and then go to the middle and split on edge ..sometimes the middle line shows when i click there and sometimes not ..if you dont understand i can try to post pic . But when i hit enter it appears sometimes and sometimes just says end on edge but i cant see the other line so not sure if in correct spot ...

# 23 15-04-2006 , 02:12 AM
Subscriber
oops forgot pic. i can click there and it shows like first pic but then when i pick another spot and it shows up like bottom pic.if i hit enter it forms and then move vertics . It is hard to do cause it throws me off on where they are ... any ideas ?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mmoore5553; 15-04-2006 at 02:17 AM.
# 24 15-04-2006 , 05:54 AM
Subscriber
Hello MMoore,

I think it's because the poly face is twisted and the new vert that you're adding in the middle of the face will try to find middle ground between the upper and lower edges but will not pull the face into shape until you've hit enter. If you use x-ray you should be able to see what you're doing.

Take it easy,

Mat

# 25 15-04-2006 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
okay finally got some progress but ran into a problem ...i wanted to convert to sub-d so i can see how it looks so far and it will not let me do it.

i have looked over and over to see what is wrong. I dont know any other way to get a smooth version to see what dragon looks like so far ...it is in polys ..

here is the error i get in the script editor

select -r polySurface2 ;
deleteInternalValence2Verts |polySurface2|polySurfaceShape5;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 1000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface2|polySurfaceShape5;
// Warning: Nothing is selected. Select objects or components to delete. //
// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): The conversion to a subdivision surface failed.
// One or more duplicated edges were present.
// Repair the duplicate edges by selecting the polygon
// and issuing the following command, then try again:
select .e[378] ;string $v[] = `polyListComponentConversion -fe -tv`;select $v;polySplitVertex;polyMergeVertex -d 0.0 -tx 1; //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details.

i dont see any duplicated edges or vertics issues... i can post my file so far ..i want to find out where the problem is ..any help appreciated or if anyone knows how to see what you have so far so i know what to pull out or push in let me know ..thanks

Attached Files
File Type: mb dragonhead4.4.mb (181.9 KB, 236 views)
# 26 15-04-2006 , 02:39 PM
Subscriber
Hey there MMoore,

It's starting to look much better, I've highlighted your problem with the red circle, for some reason this edge will not join. To get this view yourself go to custom polygon display and click on the border edges button, set the edge width to what ever is good for you, I have it at 4 (you may need to click on display/polygon components/border edges too, but I'm not sure).

To sort the problem out I would delete the 2 faces that I've shaded green and use the append poly tool to rebuild them, you will be able to convert to sub-d after that.

take it easy,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 15-04-2006 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
well i finally found it ..had to set it to 5 ..so i take it any edges that are not by holes will be in bold. But if it is on edges it indicates double edge ? and something to be fixed ?

i just deleted both faces and then just picked all the edges and append poly tool and then just deleted the edge and then split poly tool to give it back shape ..Then it went ahead and went to sub-d .

Is that the correct way ?

it took me all of 2 min lol

thanks for your help once again, Mat. there are a few of you that have really kept me on track and taught me things. Thanks to all of you. Also special thanks to kurt for the tutorial. hopefully i will make it threw.

also previous question. How do you all go about seeing a smooth image or see how to pull things up and down to get the proper proportions ?

Last edited by mmoore5553; 15-04-2006 at 03:21 PM.
# 28 15-04-2006 , 03:42 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
You could have merged verts too, just delete all history and then applied it. Even quicker

Another reason for failure to Sd can be also due to the fact that the base mesh count is too low: eg: the default is 3200 if Im correct, you may get an error saying base mesh is eg 3500 so therefore increase the conversion count to match this or better still increase it further to say 4000. In this case it wasnt the prob but its something to be aware of, for the future.

Regards
Jay

# 29 15-04-2006 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber
okay thanks Jay I will keep that in mind.

Hopefully everything will go well today and have more updates

Mat- i think I am doing better on this cause i kept in mind errors and mistakes I had in the tie fighter. hopefully since u have the file you can see that it is better .

Any more C and C is always welcome .

# 30 17-04-2006 , 04:07 AM
Subscriber
okay this weekend was rough. i have worked all day on getting the eye looking good and this is what i have so far ..also when i smooth it doesnt look like much . i have posted pics of regular poly not smooth. When you smooth does it get better or am i suppose to put in more work ..though I would see more define shape or should i just sick with working out more detail ? i just look at dragon kurt does at this stage he has more detail.

Also if i go to poly and smooth . geometry is alittle messed up ..should i worry about that ? also when i smooth ..how do i go back to normal poly ? i can post file if people want to duplicate other side and take a look at it ...

Attached Thumbnails