Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-01-2008 , 09:48 AM
Subscriber

Oh noes, i crashed my Ferrari!

Hello everyone!

First of all let me say thanks to the great ferrari 360 tutorial that helped me a great deal with a school-project i am currently working on! (Studying 3d-visualization in Sweden).

The project was to create a car (which ever you wanted) and make it brand new, like it just had rolled out of the factory (again thanks for the great tutorial!).

That was part 1 and you can see the result here:
user added image

The 2nd part of the project was to make it look like car had either crashed in some way (to practice modelling) or to make it look abandoned and deserted were things like weather and time would be the major damage dealers (to practise textureing).

I decided to crash my 360 (cause i think modelling is funnier to do user added image).

Anyways this is how it turned out:
user added image

I wanted to make it look like the driver went straight into a lightpole or a sharp edge of a building at a slow velocity. And i am quite happy with how it turned out user added image

But to further practise textureing (which i am not good at) i decided to make the car abandoned, like someone had crashed it and thrown it into a lake and left it there for some time. So here is the result of that:
user added image

I am a really big "noob" when it comes to Photoshop as you probably can tell user added image

Anyways i wanted to show you these (the crashed/rusted ones) and i would love some feedback on what you guys and gals think! user added image

# 2 02-01-2008 , 10:27 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
on the crash the lights and the windscreen need to be damaged
and on the weathering there needs to be smething on the wingscreen also

# 3 02-01-2008 , 01:52 PM
You called yourself a 'really big noob', but that doesn't show off in your work, it looks very good user added image

the windscreen/rims in the last image look waaaaay too clean though.
It looks like someone dumped it into a lake with soap and stuff, so that the body started rusting and the glass only became more shiny :p

and about the second image, I believe that when you crash hard enough to crush the entire front of your car, the back of the car would at least have some minor scratches/mud/dust on it :p

I must say that you've done a great job overall, those little details just make it look a little bit less realistic

...but that was when I ruled the world
# 4 02-01-2008 , 02:17 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looks pretty good!

The modeling is pretty solid. The texturing could use some work. The Ferrari paint looks like plastic, so in the other images it looks like someone took a lighter to their toy Ferrari.
With all the melted/burned areas and such.

The paint texture you are using seems pretty good, but you need to get rid of those orange highlights.
Plus a few more photons in your scene wouldn't hurt.

Over all, really nice work! user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 01-02-2008 , 10:48 PM
Subscriber
I toned down the rust/scrathes and stuff quite this time around.

I just thought that the more subtle the damages the better user added image

So here it is:

user added image

This is also my final render user added image

# 6 02-02-2008 , 05:17 PM
Subscriber
Nice modeling and texturing... It sure beats what i can do.

Only crit would be to have the front window smashed in, or also have a headlight broken on the floor.