Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 31-07-2006 , 12:54 AM

UV's and textures

ok i am as confused a hell, with this stuff and i dont know where to begin, i am assuming that each uv point isa vertex and that the texture is applied through a grid of uv points, using the veticies as points as a map

now, the problem i having is i have only about 10 vertices on the figure and it is rather large, so the distance between uv point are very large making the texture look bad, this is my hyposithis

so what im asking is how to make a grid of uv points on each side / rounded edge of the object

# 2 31-07-2006 , 04:06 AM
you are mostly rite.....for every vertex there is a UV...but they are completely different....vertices exist in a 3D environment while UVs are only 2 dimensional (and can only be moved in the uv texture editor) (so that's why when you start moving the vertices a lot..the UVs will get really messy).....to fix that you need to UV map..(which will solve your problem)...check out the maya help..there are a couple tutorials on there...and the guys here that do tutorials do a great job of explaning uvs/uv mapping if you have some points saved up i highly recommend that....but to start off..use some low poly objects and practice the planar,cylindrical..etc uv mapping....(so like for a leg you could use cylindrical mapping....a door you would use planar...etc)

good luck

# 3 31-07-2006 , 04:08 AM
maya help just isnt working for me... what work is the videos, they have here, i also theing the should be a chat thing so we could get quicker answers

# 4 31-07-2006 , 04:10 AM
hmm..what are you trying to UV map...maybe send me the file and i'll tell you how i would UV map it/fix the problem

# 5 31-07-2006 , 05:52 AM
lets assume the item i s a 4x4 cube with no other changes, with only the 8 vertices

# 6 31-07-2006 , 12:57 PM
for that you would need to do a couple planars....in the x,y,and z axis...then...in the uv texture editor you move and sew them all together

(and actually..since it's so simple..you could probably do an automacic uv mapping.....)

# 7 31-07-2006 , 05:35 PM

Originally posted by TheAnswerRP03
for that you would need to do a couple planars....in the x,y,and z axis...then...in the uv texture editor you move and sew them all together

(and actually..since it's so simple..you could probably do an automacic uv mapping.....)

ok just so u know that sentence made no sence to me whatsoever, tell me what meunes to go to and and what button to click dont use term like planars and sew, i have no idea what that means

just for future notice tell me how to do it assuming i never opened maya before, that give u a general idea how far i am in the program

Last edited by Furry Fury; 31-07-2006 at 05:37 PM.